Last reply 3 years ago
Employers

I have been asked by my new employers to fill in a form, and the form asks me to put in really weird details that I really feel they don’t need to know. What difference to them is it what weight or height I am?! I think I am going to answer some questions and leave some out. Do you think this is a bad idea? I really miss our wee chat box in the side, a wee sounding board for this is all I need! I don’t need a whole forum post! 😛

The form also asks for all my absences in the past two years, but like, I have MS… I have no idea when and how often I have been off sick! :S

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

us-emma
3 years ago

In the US it is illegal for employers to ask those questions.

I would send the form back blank, can’t think of a good thing that might come out of employers having that info- and I run a business!

stumbler
3 years ago

@kirstyscotland8 , in the UK, employers will monitor the sickness records of their staff to identify the shirkers, i.e. those with a recurrence of Monday morning sickness.

They tend to analyse the absence records to identify those who have the greatest numbers of absence throughout the year, as well as those who have had the greatest number of days off.

You’re right to be a bit suspicious as this is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, employers are looking after the welfare of their employees, so that they can provide the right support for genuine conditions.

On the other hand, they are seeking to expose those who are casually sick.

In both cases, employers may seek your authority for their medical experts to contact your medical team, to either understand the underlying condition or to expose the shirkers.

In your case, you have a genuine condition, so you may want to work with your employers to ensure their compliance with their legal obligations to you. 😉

cameron
3 years ago

How about something on the lines that although you enjoy general good health, you have relapsing-remitting MS; that it is stable, manageable and hasn’t caused problems with work in the past; that absences from work have been mostly seasonal infections or annual check-ups; that your GP or neurological team can give more precise information and details of your medication if this is required. (No idea if any of this fits but it might give you a pointer!) xx

kirstyscotland8
3 years ago

I filled in the form to the best of my ability, and they have put it through an Occupational Health team and have made me an appointment with a DOCTOR on my second day of training. Bit strange. Oh well, will see how it goes!

stumbler
3 years ago

@kirstyscotland8 , just consider it to be part of your employer’s welfare towards its staff.

Yes, it is also a way of rooting out those employees who are regularly casually sick. But, it is also the way the employers can meet the requirements of current legislation for those that have a genuine condition.

Look for the positives in this process. 😉

pavo
3 years ago

I fell at work unfortunatley my boss saw me and referred me to occupational health it was not as bad as I feared it would be they have arranged for a wheelchair in the office and could have reduced my workload if it was too much for me

kirstyscotland8
3 years ago

Update: After all this I have decided not to take the job because it is shift work and I can’t put my body through that again.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.