Last reply 1 year ago
DVLA??

Hello, I’m newly diagnosed with rrms. Does anyone know if you have to declare this to DVLA and car insurances? Very frustrating if premium will go up. Many thanks.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

paul2011
1 year ago

yes 🙁

gates1989
1 year ago

My car insurance company told me they can’t put the premium up as it’s discrimination they just need to know if you have any medical conditions! Dvla do need to know unfortunately, they issued me with a 3 year licence and review it every time it’s about to expire by speaking to my neuro! X

sunrise82
1 year ago

Thanks @gates1989. That’s good to hear my premium won’t go up. I’m just trying to get my head around all this and I’m struggling to stay positive. Thanks x

tantar
1 year ago

Hi

Insurers are happy as long as DVLA know. My premiums did not go up but I was reduced to 3 year license by DVLA. My GP then has to complete paperwork with me present. I have to pay extra for GP to do this over here, not sure how NHS deal with this but I’m sure someone will be able to advise.

I still have moments of struggling with the unknown but take things step by step. There are so many people who know where you are coming from and will try to help, you are not alone.

Tracey
X

mo-jo
1 year ago

Yeah doll need to know, I was on a 3year license, and now on a 5year,so not too bad.
Keep well x

mo-jo
1 year ago

Meant DVLA. X

niccis
1 year ago

Notify the DVLA. Or are they the DSA now? They sent me the forms to fill in. I sent them back with my licence (you can still drive while they are deciding) and after confirmation from the neuro they issued a 3 year licence. It was very straightforward.x

hels99
1 year ago

I wasn’t charged (in England). DVLA will write to your consultant. I got the three year licence too.

mmhhpp
1 year ago

Yes

sunrise82
1 year ago

Thank you @tantar x

ellenmay
1 year ago

If you are deemed to need modifications to be able to drive safely,then you will be asked to prove you have done this.
I have an adaptation to allow me to safely indicate and dip my headlights!
I must confess to screaming at any car that doesn’t indicate, because let’s face it not everyone does, but I was forced to prove I could so am now very insistent that those that can,at least try to remember.
3 year driving licence,but agree that insurance seem ok about it all, more than most if we can still drive we value our freedom and have every intention of keeping it!

redrighthand
1 year ago

I had a very bad experience phoning the DVLA to tell them about my MS. I may have been unlucky and spoke to someone who was terrible at their job but I was very disappointed. I don’t know what, if any, training they receive but they should be far more sensitive considering they have a dedicated medical enquiries number.

I was told I had to complete a CN1V form (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cn1v-confidential-medical-information) and send it to the DVLA within three weeks or they would revoke my licence. The form is terrible. They ask you to list your relapses (there’s space for a maximum of three), list your medication (I didn’t know what medication I’d be taking), etc. They ask for permission to contact your doctor for more information, so just give them your neurologists address and let them find out for themselves.

I received a letter and form a couple of weeks ago telling me that they’d reviewed my case and I’d be given a three year renewable licence. I sent my existing licence to them last week (recorded delivery, of course. Can’t trust them not to lose it so I want proof it got there!). They said the form would be processed within two weeks but wouldn’t say how long it would take to send me my new licence. You won’t be charged for your new licence or any future renewal.

The whole thing has taken a few months but, unless your doctor says so, there’s no reason you should stop driving in the mean time.

As if we need more stress on top of a MS diagnosis, we have to deal with this kind of crap. It’s just a matter of persevering through the DVLA’s ill-thought out process.

uptoeleven
1 year ago

Yes and while your licence is being processed you’re still allowed to drive as long as your condition hasn’t deteriorated in a “you shouldn’t drive” kind of way. So if you lose sight due to MS, while waiting for the DVLA, don’t drive. But if you then go on steroids and you get all your sight back, you should be fine. Try to be careful around fatigue and driving.

lillibet23
1 year ago

Yes
I got issued 3 yr liscense and my insurance companies have been informed and no increase in price

traceyluv
1 year ago

No increase in car insurance , will affect holiday insurance thou. Best to claim the illness as crafty insurance companies will but some illness down to the MS. I pay £89 for world wide insurance with insure and go (MS for me !!! £34) I can walk unaided. All the best Tracey

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.