Last reply 1 month ago
DVLA

Hope everyone is doing ok. Ok so I was given a three driving licence after diagnosis, at which point I hadn’t experienced any issues with my eyes. But since then I’ve had a bad relapse and experienced double/blurry vision, as a result my optic discs are now damaged and are not expected to heal now. I have just filled in the renewal form and had to report this issue. I just got the letter back from the DVLA who have advised they will need to write to my consultant for further information. Which I know does make sense. But what happens next? Can I still drive while they decided? Will I need to see my consultant to have my eyes looked at? People have mentioned on here a DVLA eye exam? Will I need to go for one?

Have most people been through this? I’m guessing it will be ok?

Thanks for reading.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

vivien
1 month ago

I was advised that I could drive whilst the DVLA did their checks and had to do the DVLA sight test before they issued my 3 year medical driving licence at the start of this year. The optician was lovely and gave me a practice at the test first, to get used to the machine and I passed with flying colours, but my optic neuritis was fully resolved by then.

Your optical consultant is best placed in the interim to advise you on whether you should be driving or not, they’ll happily discuss it with you.

Good luck 🤞!

stumbler
1 month ago

@rainbow , I think you have to be sensible about this and only drive if it is safe for you to do so. I suppose legally you are OK to drive as your licence hasn’t been withdrawn. But, you won’t win any friends if you’re involved in an accident.

You could be proactive and have an eye test at your optician. They’ll let you know whether you’re OK to drive or not.

rainbow
1 month ago

Thanks @vivien and @stumbler for your advice. Much appreciated as always

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.