Last reply 7 months ago
Dry mouth

Well the title says it all really. I have a really dry mouth! It’s been something I’ve been aware of for ages & not really bothered about but I’ve noticed recently that I need to constantly be drinking or chewing gum to be comfortable & as soon as I’m not doing one or the other I’m pretty quickly looking for more gum or getting another drink. It’s not a big problem but I’m starting to wonder if it’s something I need to investigate. A quick search on shift only seemed to pick things related to treatments so I don’t know, is it ever an ms thing or do I need to look elsewhere? Anyone else had anything similar?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
7 months ago

@lilbird , there’s a piece here about dry mouth, on Page 2 :-

https://www.mssociety.org.uk/sites/default/files/Documents/Factsheets/Oral%20health%20factsheet%200812_0.pdf

There is also another auto-immune condition, Sjögrens Syndrome, which can cause a dry mouth:-

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sjogrens-syndrome/

noelie
7 months ago

i heard it could also be related to thyroid, as you’re on lemtrada, when was your last thyroid check? maybe worth mentioning at your next MS nurse appointment?

lilbird
7 months ago

Thanks @stumbler that’s interesting I’m intrigued by “dry mouth toothpaste” I wonder what that’s like 🤔 I also looked at the sjogrens page & slipped down the rabbit hole for a little while clicking links & finding more & more things I can identify with, so I’m going to stop that now before I drive myself crazy & wait till I can talk to someone about it I think! 😉

lilbird
7 months ago

Hi @noelie I hadn’t though about it being a thyroid issue & can’t remember when my most recent thyroid check was so that’s definitely something I need to check out, thanks 😊

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.