Last reply 2 months ago
Drop foot / walking distance

Heya, I was hoping you guys can help please? I have left sided foot drop and I’m hoping to improve my walking and walking distance as it has been really bad affected in the last year. Do you have any advice on either on my drop foot or helping to improve walking distance or both would be amazing. I really appreciate all your help and advice. Natz 💜

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 months ago

@natty15 , have a word with your MS Nurse and see if they can arrange a neuro-physio assessment. They can look at the problem and consider whether exercises might help. Or they might refer you on to Orthotics, as a splint might help.

natty15
2 months ago

Brilliant thank you
@stumbler

longboat
2 months ago

HI – I have left foot drop as well (past five years ). Stumbler is right. I had an assessment at my hospital… and now wear fitted custom made orthotics all the time. I also have a brace… but only wear it when I am going on a long walk or am feeling quite tired – and just need that extra support (physio’s advice). For me, specific exercises are really key – some for the ankle – and all the way up to the core to help with the gait (again your physio will help). When I stop doing them, I notice pretty quickly that my walking suffers.
Good luck,
Rachel

vixen
2 months ago

Hi @natty15, it might be something for further down the line, but you could look at FES machines. My sister uses one, as have others on Shift for whom it produces great results. Good luck!

leogirl
2 months ago

[email protected]

There is a drug called Fampyra which helps walking, but it doesn’t work for everyone. You should ask your MS nurse/neurologist about it.

denisejulie
2 months ago

Hi , I have left foot drop and wear a foot splint , can’t walk too far as left foot drags even with the splint my left side effected, have not worked since may this year , I hate not working I was a Carer , it’s horrible not knowing what lies in store. I just wish I could have my old life back

natty15
2 months ago

@longboat Do you find the brace useful? I’ve been given one that just falls down as its lost all stickyness. Thanks Natz @vixen yeah FES was what I was hoping but my neurologist has said no and won’t refer me so I’m looking at ways to try and get help with funding :/ all I want in life is to be happy and to walk around again. Thanks Natz. @leogirl is that drug available in Scotland do you know? Thank you! @denisejulie hello I was also a carer and I’m on the same page. I just want my life back too. If I could anything In the world all I would love is to be able to walk like before so I could enjoy what may come as I’m only 27years old. Natz

zarah
2 months ago

I suffered from foot drop n was giving a foot splint which helped wore it for months. Between doing that and doing my foot exercises every night my walking has improved and not needing the foot splint as much just days where my foot feels weaker I wear it xxx

leogirl
2 months ago

@natty15

I just looked it up there now and it doesn’t appear to be. 😕Do you do any exercises for it? there are loads on Utube. Ann Marie

gary_bennett_1
2 months ago

@natty 15

ms nurse and the neurosurgeon will be able to assist you with your personal exercise program when applicable and tailored four your symptoms. Each one of us is unique and different. At the moment I am on an eight week balance class which I do at the hospital, this class is tailored for people with various neurological issues, it is quite useful to be part of that group it is. Like I say it is different for each one of us. Today is Sunday , I am going to go to the cinema to see a film called the favourite with the actress Oliver Coleman, this is what I will be doing this afternoon, it is good to be positive.

longboat
2 months ago

Yes, I do find the brace useful. It sounds to me like your current situation is far from ideal. As Stumbler and others like Gary say, we are all unique so I would be reluctant to advise on a particular brace or set of exercises.
I would insist on getting an assessment – to get the help you need – be it exercises, orthotics, a brace etc. I hate being pushy – but on the other hand when I am walking better it makes a huge difference to me – especially mentally.

natty15
2 months ago

@leogirl erm I do marching on the spot, balancing on each leg for 15 secs, pull the foot back for 15 secs. My psyhio gave me that as an excercise plan. Thanks Natz. @longboat heya I think the first I’m going to do is going to phone my ms nurse tomorrow. Thank you for all your help. Natz

longboat
2 months ago

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on,
Best,
Rachel

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.