houdini 02/01/18
Last reply 1 month ago
Driving

Hi all, anyone in the UK who has a driving licence?
I just wanted to hear how the DVLA treated you on informing them of your diagnosis? What actions willl they take? I need my licence for getting to work so little worried.
Thanks all in advance! X

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

rubyroo
3 months ago

Hi, I had to provide the DVLA details of my diagnosis, G.P and consultant neurologist. The DVLA contacted them and I was told I could keep my licence, but was put on a 3 year licence which means this is reviewed every 3 years. It took about 6 weeks to sort which was a worry but I could continue to drive while waiting for their decision. Hope you get sorted.

vixen
3 months ago

Hi, my experience was exactly the same, except only 3 weeks! You should advise your insurance company too. The forms are a bit of a fiddle but it’s OK and you don’t have to pay for a new licence!

suzyt
3 months ago

I had the same as above and also lost my D1 ? Entitlement revoked so I can’t drive anything over an 8 seater vehicle.

tish22
3 months ago

Oh dear i haven’t informed them! Is it compulsory? 🙈

vixen
3 months ago

Hi @tish22 yes, you have to inform them. Your MS nurse or neuro should have advised you. It shouldn’t be a problem and it won’t cost you. You need to advise your insurance company too. You will then have to redo it every three years. They will contact Your neuro and it’s fine to keep driving in between. Get posting! 🙂

grahamjk
3 months ago

Hi all, as has already been said you have to inform the dvla by law it also invalidates your insurance if you don’t inform them but in my experience the dvla were ok (3 years licence, lost virtually anything above car) but as my relapse involved eyesight I went to my local test centre and took the eyesight test and passed. As for my insurance they didn’t really care but you do have to inform them.
Best of luck. Graham

stumbler
3 months ago

I’ve heard that the DVLA may be increasing the length of our licences to 5 years.

We’ll see……..

ruggermad
3 months ago

@houdini

“err on the side of caution”

Tell the DVLA about yuor diagnosis (its the law) and they will send you a form to fill in………remember the questions are to help assess your ability to drive and control a car. The problem is with MS not everybody is the same and when the DVLA lackies read your responses they might generalise on your condition.

For example, do you get dizzy spells? You may have had a dizzy spell three years ago and you have not had one since…..you state this on the form and the DVLA presume/ generalise that you get dizzy spells all the time. They revoke your licence……

or

They ask “do you suffer from numbness in your hands?” you state that “yes you have done , my hand went numb during my sleep while i was laid in bed once over about 6 months ago ” the lackies presume that it happens all the time. You get the picture……

The DVLA will write to your doctor for his view and to provide a report. I would suggest to anyone that once they tell the DVLA then to make an appointment to see your doctor (if you can!) and give them a heads up that they will shortly be recieving a letter from the DVLA. I would also suggest that if you are capable of driving and controlling a car OK, then you should subtly drop that into the conversation.

I am in no way advocating that you lie on your form or anything. I am just saying that you just need to be a litle bit savvy and cover your bases with your responses.

I never had a problem with keeping my three year licence (or getting a renewal one). The only issues I have had is my replacement photocard licence has got lost in the post and the DVLA have made me pay for a replacement one as they somehow blame me for not recieving it………bonkers!!!

Don’t worry, the whole process is fairly painless.

houdini
3 months ago

Thanks for this info all. You all are a great bunch. So reassuring knowing you are all around the world but here if needed. Thank you again 🙂

helpjodxx
1 month ago

I need to do this!! I’m worried though as my ms started with double vision even though it’s now recovered and Iv even been discharged from the eye department I’m worried DVLA will take my licence off me 😢

helpjodxx
1 month ago

@grahamjk what did u do at the test centre for your eye test?

Do I just download form online and send on?

My doc or consultant has never mentioned about contacting DVLA so I wasn’t even aware

stumbler
1 month ago

@helpjodxx , unfortunately, you don’t have a choice. You’re breaking the law if you don’t tell the DVLA. Sorry.

helpjodxx
1 month ago

I’m going to print the form and send it back

novemberrain
1 month ago

It is not only a legal requirement but you won’t be insured either. Disclosure is needed but you should be fine. Whatever you told GP and neuro will be checked so no point fibbing on the forms. I have epilepsy too so that was an instant revoke for me 😣. My MS isnt a driving issue. I will find out very soon!

grahamjk
1 month ago

Hi @helpjodxx all the eye test was the standard ‘can you read the number plate’ test. The only reason was that I’d had double vision. But as has been said before it’s just to confirm your competent and safe to drive.

helpjodxx
1 month ago

Hi graham
My ms started with double vision that’s the only reason I found out about it!! It has recovered now so hoping there give me a 3 year licence and just the eye test then for number plate I’m so worried there take my licence 😢 x

helpjodxx
1 month ago

Thanks @novemberrain I’m going to complete my form this week and send it off oh no I’m an honest person so will write everything on it plus they write to doc or consultant there tell them anyway and as Iv had discharged letter from eye department as my vision recovered hopefully on the report if DVLA ask then the doc and consultant will confirm that and hopefully il still be ok to drive there is nothing that affects my driving ability or awareness so hoping it will be ok just he waiting game!!

Good luck with ur outcome

scramblelina
1 month ago

@helpjodxx My MS started with optic neuritis and there was no problem getting my 3 year licence so I wouldn’t worry.

I was a bit annoyed at having to renew every 3 years as my eye is fully recovered but it is what it is and as has been previously pointed out, you’ll never have to pay for a licence renewal again so silver linings and all that!

houdini
1 month ago

Update from my application. 3 year renewal and inform of any changes. I supplied a standard eye test result when the DVLA came back and asked more questions about eye health. Gutted in sending my full licence back this week end of an era! They have automatically reduced uses in my licence too I.e mini-bus use etc to fall in line with a medical licence.
All feels unfair but just grateful at this stage holding on to licence as I work 60 miles away from home!
All part of accepting this disease I guess. ☹️

helpjodxx
1 month ago

Hi @scramblelina

I think because the form asks for any vision problems and you have to declare it that’s why I’m worrying even though the double vision was January 2017 and no episodes since but I have to put dates etc and you know what DVLA can be like

I suppose never having To pay again is the only bonus! I’m assuming you had to tell them about your optic neurosis?

I might be over worrying but then I always worry! Xx

helpjodxx
1 month ago

Oh and did u have to take an eye test?

houdini
1 month ago

Hi. No after initial application and report back they got from consultants they then send another letter with an eye questionnaire so I decided to send my normal eye test results and all was then accepted and closed down with final comma the:3 year medical licence.
Sending my licence back this week to exchange! 😕

scramblelina
1 month ago

@helpjodxx Yes, I had to tell them everything including dates etc. Absolutely no point in being less than completely honest as they will write to your GP and Neurologist anyway.

I had to go to my GP for a medical which was frankly just ridiculous, he asked me a few questions he would already have had the answers to if he had looked at my medical record on the screen in front of them and then did an eye test. The eye test took about 2 minutes and was him asking the standard distance questions (using the normal chart where the letters become smaller) and then checking my peripheral vision with a pencil. In total it took less than 5 minutes.

I wouldn’t worry about it, I’m sure you’ll be absolutely fine.

helpjodxx
1 month ago

@scramblelina yer ok literally put everything down as yer there def write to them anyway!

Wow that seems a pointless task but I suppose they have to do it, iv done The same eye test over and over again and the hosp before on the same day and you think hurry up iv done this and been here for hours! Lol fingers x for me! It’s just the waiting game to! X

novemberrain
1 month ago

Thanks @helpjodxx Fibbing wasnt what I wanted to say, sounds very dishonest! Oops. I wrote far too much detail on my first app before I was diagnosed with the partial (conscious) seizures or MS. DVLA did the diagnosis from my form before I even had an mri. Bye bye licence for 14 months.Epilepsy is quite different in driving terms of course so I understand but that was a nightmare!

grandma
1 month ago

If you get a Mobility Car they have their own insurance company (RSA) and all info is given to them so you don’t need to do anything 😍Jill

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.