kerrylousie 14/07/12
Last reply 5 years ago
Driving

Has anyone else had to send their driving licence back? i was advised to inform the DVLA once diagnosed who in turn contacted my consultant, next minute i received a letter asking for my licence back to be replaced with a 3 yearly one because MS is ever changing

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

sian810
5 years ago

Hiya, I had to do the same, but was diagnosed in 2005. They wrote to my consultant too, I didnt get mine replaced with a 3 yearly one tho, as I think they didnt make it mandatory until 2007 or I was just lucky I guess. Dont worry tho your not alone as most people will have to do this now.

justdave
5 years ago

Just in the process of contacting dvlni, and have been advised that I’ll probably have to renew every three years too. I suppose it’s understandable really, but I’ll be mighty hacked off Iif I have to pay for a new licence to be issued every three years….

chueykooh
5 years ago

I don’t know how they handle drivers licenses in the UK, but here in the US they should make it every three years for people over 65 years old. They let these old people that can’t even see over the steering wheel drive and are a huge threat to everyones safety. It sucks they take your license away for MS, or make you go every three years but here you can be 100 and still drive. It’s scary.

Sarah_T
5 years ago

I’ve had to send my license off too. I didn’t have to pay anything for it but I did send it off a month ago and still haven’t received anything back.

DJDsouza
5 years ago

@SarahT welcome to the world of the ever efficient DVLA

cameron
5 years ago

Didn’t know about the mandatory ruling in 2007 so I guess I was lucky to be dxd in 2003. I wasn’t too pleased to be told that if I ever bought a automatic my licence would reduce just to cover automatics. An MS friend who was dxd a few years ago has got a 3-year one and she was furious because when it was due to be renewed, the DVLA took many, many months to reissue it. Turned out there was no problem, it was ‘just’ their delay.

EmS
5 years ago

Hey, I have a 3 yearly one too – the DVLA took a whole year to replace my licence, but I was allowed to drive in the meantime – it really isn’t a big deal. During that year they contacted several health professionals and arranged for my eyes to be tested. The biggest issue I faced was that I had no proof of age without my card!

CaptainKristoff
5 years ago

I sent mine back about 4 months ago and they’re still yet to sort anything out. They even made a mess of sending their fomrs to my neuro so I’ve had to intervene and get them faxed directly to a nurse to give to my nuro to then fax back to them! They worry about my driving when posting a letter to the address given is beyond them! I’m now having to check up on them every other day just pestering them to sort things out as I NEED my license back!

stiv3n2000
5 years ago

it’s not the dvla I worry about, it’s the impact on my insurance. I love my motors and have work hard enough to be able to own a few nice cars. Can’t imagine the impact on my premium!

cameron
5 years ago

You won’t necessarily be charged more. I wasn’t. Like with travel insurance: I was quoted a high premium and when I queried it, it turned out the ‘loading’ for MS was minimal but for my bad back they wanted another £70. You can’t win…

stumbler
5 years ago

All your car insurance is interested in is whether you have advised the DVLA. I’m pretty sure they’re not allowed to load your premium.

hannah
5 years ago

I only have a provisional at the moment but booking my test soon – do I need to tell the DVLA before I take my test? Or does it not really matter?

Becks
5 years ago

the dvla should be notified in all instances as ms is one of the listed conditions so it doesn’t matter what year you were diagnosed you still must inform them and your insurance – i was diagnosed in 2000 and have been on 3 year licences ever since – its a ball ache but a legal necessity. if you don’t notify both dvla and your insurance you will be driving in effect without insurance which is an offence so its not worth the risk for the sake of sending off your licence every three years and waiting about a year for dvla to pull their finger out and issue your next licence. my insurance premiums haven’t gone up due to my ms and i drive an automatic (find it easier) but i am still physically able to drive manual cars so my licence remains a full one and is not a licence to drive automatics only so if you choose to drive an automatic but still can drive a manual safely then i wouldn’t have thought your licence should change – obviously if you are unable to drive a manual safely then yes dvla should be notified of this fact and your licence changed to a licence to drive automatics only.

stiv3n2000
5 years ago

unfortunately it’s my sight in one eye that’s been impacted otherwise I’m to date physically able to drive. ironically I also have a full motorcycle licence but don’t ride anymore. it’s that fact that I drive a insurance group 19 (38) what impact would that have I’m frightened to ask! I asked my neurologist when first diagnosed after losing my sight back in 91 and he said that iy was’t a problem. Have the rules changed since then?

markms
5 years ago

hi yes sent mine back got a 3 year one back all ok no problems and you dont have to tell your insurance about your ms i was told that by church hill insurance about 2 years ago dont think it has changed. i was a wagon driver they have taken that licence away but still have my car. ps depends how bad your ms is to tell insurance.

stumbler
5 years ago

I don’t think the severity of your MS has anything to do with your car insurance. If the DVLA are happy for you to drive, then the insurance companies should not penalise you.
I think they would fall foul of the equalities legislation if they did.

cameron
5 years ago

My letter from the DVLA when I got my full licence back told me that if I started driving an automatic I’d have to have my licence changed. But that’s maybe fair enough as I’m not on a 3-year one. Sounds to me as if they’ve tightened up since 2003. I was a bit cross because I thought I might try an automatic for a change and to see if it was any easier – but of course I haven’t because I don’t want to lose my permanent licence. And I was told I had to inform the insurance – but there was no obvious increase.

cameron
5 years ago

My letter from the DVLA when I got my full licence back told me that if I started driving an automatic I\’d have to have my licence changed. But that\’s maybe fair enough as I\’m not on a 3-year one. Sounds to me as if they\’ve tightened up since 2003. I was a bit cross because I thought I might try an automatic for a change and to see if it was any easier – but of course I haven\’t because I don\’t want to lose my permanent licence. And I was told I had to inform the insurance – but there was no obvious increase.

Sarah_T
5 years ago

@DJDsouza & @EmS – my replacement driving license arrived yesterday! There I was expecting it to take another 11 months after @EmS experience. So that was a nice surprise 🙂

Becks
5 years ago

hi @markms, not sure who you spoke to at Churchill but you seem to have been given duff info. one of the questions asked by insurers is ‘do you have a DVLA notifiable condition and have you notified them’ so you must notify your insurers that you have ms and the dvla are aware and that you have a licence. that is all they are bothered about – they won’t refuse insurance on this ground but if you do not notify your insurers (no matter how severe or mild your ms is)and you have an accident your insurer will probably turn round and say you have invalidated any insurance cover through non-disclosure. by driving without insurance you are also committing a criminal offence and so i cannot stress enough how important it is to notify both the DVLA and your insurer. will jump off my legal soap box again now!!!!! 🙂

Anonymous
5 years ago

My Neurologist did some basic tests on me, and was not comfortable with me driving. I trust him 100%. I drove home that day and contacted DVLA. They wanted more tests, but I could not go through any more prodding and poking. After careful consideration, I decided to give up my license. I understand that will not be for everyone, but my fear of crashing the car or hurting someone was immense.
Roger.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.