Last reply 3 weeks ago
Dreaded Insomnia….

Hi all, my first post on here so bear with me if already discussed or has a thread, I suffer with insomnia and its really starting to get to me, my living situation wasnt great up until May so i kind of accepted it and managed best i could, however i have now moved to a new flat and settling in which has been amazing, the insomnia settled briefly but has returned with a vengeance !! I have cleared my bedroom of all electronics, tried all the methods of getting myself ready to sleep etc even to the point where im so exhausted and tired im virtually falling asleep. The second i go to bed though and settle down BOOM i cannot drift off 🙁 I end up getting up trying to do something and then feel exhausted again so return to bed for the same thing to happen again i end up finally falling asleep at stupid o clock ( 6-7am) then sleeping till the afternoon.

I know if i can break this cycle with a couple of nights good sleep at normal hours i wll be ok, so my question is has anyone tried any ‘ over the counter ‘ pills remedies and if so which ones work best ?? Im looking at Vitafusion Sleep well at the mo as i have tried Nytol etc and dont really work ??

If anyone has any advice etc i would be really grateful and on a side note im seeing my GP on friday for more advice, i dont really want prescription pills as the addiction side of things is not something i want to worry about.

Thanks all in advance

Jay

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

mamawals
1 month ago

I use over the counter sleep meds, Unisom. I actually cut them in half. I take it two to three times a week just to get in some quality sleep. It makes me groggy in the morning but once it wears off I feel better.

jonas1272
1 month ago

Thanks ill have a look at them 🙂

jas64
1 month ago

I take Gravol 50- 100mg but take it early evening or I find it has a hangover effect – usually an hour before bed

stumbler
1 month ago

@jonas1272 , here is an article on sleep problems :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/life-ms/wellbeing/sleep ,

although it sounds like you may have already tried most of the advice offered.

Your local pharmacist may be able to give you some advice about over-the-counter options, although your GP would be the obvious answer. As you seem anti-sleeping tablets, you may want to discuss Amitriptyline. This is a mild anti-depressant, but does tend to knock you out too. Just don’t take it later than 12 hours before you intend to rise the next day.

jonas1272
4 weeks ago

Thanks for replies guys, gonna talk to GP on friday before i decide on anything but desperately need to break this cycle 🙁

jack13
4 weeks ago

Hi please talk to your doctor to get some sleeping tablets. There a God send to me. I’ve been on them since I was 31 when I was diagnosed with me. I got back to work. With out sleep my fatigue was so bad i had 2years house and bed bound.

jonas1272
4 weeks ago

Thanks Jack yes im going to speak to my GP ( as i said earlier ) I just want to explore options and also get some experience / advise from others so that i have info to speak to GP and my MS nurse about

grandma
3 weeks ago

Did you get see your GP? Anything prescribed? By the way my answer has been talking books, plug earphones in, 10 mins I’m asleep,worth trying? 😍

jonas1272
3 weeks ago

Hi all sorry for late reply not had a good couple of days so been relaxing and resting ( legs not been great )
GP has given me some Zopiclone ( only 7 days worth ) gonna start them tomorrow so fingers crossed i can get my sleep pattern back to some sort of normality, will keep you updated 🙂

kimbleshanx
3 weeks ago

Hi there,
I’m new to the site, but read your comment and had to add my little bit of knowledge/experience – Melatonin! Amazing, more natural, sleep well no “groggyness”, I take LDN which I get on prescription from Glasgow, doctor there advised Melatonin, used to get on script, discovered cheaper to buy via U.S. Amazon, I have now used safely, effective for past 5 yrs. Works amazing and you buy over counter in U.S. for jetlag. Love Kim x.

jonas1272
3 weeks ago

Hi Kim
Thanks for the advice 🙂 Have looked at a couple of ones with Melatonin in and get good reviews ! Im gonna try the Zopiclone form GP first and see if that works as once i get my body back in to the sleep rhythm i should be ok, but im definitely keeping them and the melatonin in mind 🙂

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.