Last reply 4 months ago
Draginleg

Well. I’m now out of work. My legs just won’t work. I’ve never been a day with out a job in 43 years. I don’t know how to not go to work every day. Guess I’ll figure it out. Started having problems 5 years ago. Now I can’t even do house hold chores. Construction worker my whole life. Mr manly. Really hard to cope. Sooo frustrating
No yard work. No carpentry work. Can’t do squat anymore. Trying to keep my spirit up. Don’t want to loose my mind along with my legs. I’m going to physical therapy and hope it’ll keep me out of the wheel chair. Not feeling good today. Ain’t got no gas in it. Just venting.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

vixen
6 months ago

Hello @draginleg, nice to meet you. Hey, you have Ocrevus over there, we have yet to get it approved in theUK, hows it going for you? Well, you, me and my lovely sister we’re all diagnosed recently, It’s so tough isn’t it? It’s kind of like having to say goodbye to yourself and go for a reinvent. Are you working at all?

I’m sorry you’re feeling so low at the moment. If it’s any consolation, everyone using Shift will understand you you feel and what you’re going through. It’s really hard waking to find that every day is a battle. Sometimes you feel like you don’t have the energy, I know. You will find a meaning to what your life is becoming, but the hardest thing is confronting that life is changing and isn’t the same any more. Don’t feel like you’re on your own. You’re not. Take a deep breath, plan in small steps, easy does it. Focus on your wellness. And keep posting x

draginleg
6 months ago

Wow. My first post gets a response. I’m not very good at this social network stuff, but it’s something I’m going to have lots of time to practice at. I’ll be learning more about this communication process.

stumbler
6 months ago

@draginleg , well, your working life was nearly at its logical end.

Try and see the positive side of things. You’re going to have a lot more time to devote to your leisure time interests. The internet is a wonderful resource.

The absence of workplace stress is an added bonus, which you health will benefit from.

Onwards and upwards, eh!

draginleg
5 months ago

Nice to get positive feedback. I’m trying to learn this forum communication process. Might take me a few tries at it.

stumbler
5 months ago

@draginleg, you’re doing fine with the “forum communication process”.

We have a rule of thumb here, if it feels right, then do it. 😉

draginleg
4 months ago

Just a a great big thank you to all of you out there in the same MS boat. I’m a carpenter who’s not really good at this social network stuff. But I’m figuring it out since I can’t do much else these days. Hope all of you out there are hanging tough. Be thankful for the beautiful days and get through the bad ones best you can. B STRONG.

vixen
4 months ago

H @draginleg, how is the physical therapy going? And since you mentioned it, what constitutes a beautiful day for you?

sweeney
4 months ago

@draginleg – the way I see it is that it’s all about adapting and working out what you can do. There are still many things you can do in carpentry that don’t involve moving large lumps of wood about and can be done sitting down. Have you thought about that?

grandma
4 months ago

Hi drainleg, as you have probably guessed by the name I am one of the old cosdgers around here (does 62 count?) and have had the beast for 24 years that I know of (but a lot of things from the past fell into place when I was diagnosed) but still here, still fighting, government, NHS, local council, beurocracy et al I don’t have time to be bored. I too lost my job, but I now do lots of charity work and what I want to do. You will find occupations that you want and are able to do. Don’t stress about it, it won’t do your ms any good. Good luck and keep posting😍

grandma
4 months ago

Apologies draginleg I hit the wrong button and called you !drainleg’ by mistake. 😔Sorry Jill

cammo
4 months ago

@draginleg what about cabinet making?
I assume you have a decent shed full of good toys. Get a good chair, decent work bench and some fine timber. I bet you could knock up some high end cabinets. Or other detailed wood working.

hank
4 months ago

hi , i kcnow it is a big change when you cannot do things around the house you have always done the really frustrating thing is watching others trying to do the things you used to do and knowing there is a beter way to do it ! i am 66 now and retired still trying to find out what i can do still , you will have a lot of knowledge as a skilled carpenter , is there nowhere near you where you could help out teaching youngsters and get some satisfaction from knowing you are helping the next generation of skilled carpenters. Also try and keep as fit as u can this helps, and kee positive and plan future trips , something to look forward too.
Also from what i can see you are doing alright with the communications as well, good luck for the future and keep in touch via shiftms

yours hank

hmcampos
4 months ago

Put your mind to work out of the box and find new ways to do what you used to do but sitting down or with little to none leg effort.

Keep us posted, your ideas may very well become best practices for us all around the house.

Big hug and be strong @draginleg.
H

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.