Last reply 8 months ago
does a relapse mean a new lesion?

I am pretty sure I am having a relapse. A couple months ago I had a relapse and went to the Neuro and he did a CAT scan and I had a new lesion.
I asked him if I should change my medicine and he said no.
Now, if I have another lesion, I wonder if I should change the medicine. I am taking the pill Fingolimod – Gilenya.

Any opinions?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

lorag
8 months ago

I would think they would change it. The medication is to slow down new lesions. Depends how long you have been on Gilenya if a short time neuro might want to wait and see.

californiadreamin
8 months ago

When did you start gilenya?

sonia1984
8 months ago

@kimcarlson Hi Kim, I am currently on Gilenya, when first on it I did have one little lesion show up on my follow up scan. How long have you been on Gilenya when you experienced the initial relapse?

If you have experienced an additional relapse, I would safely assume that your not responding to that particular medication. Obviously you would have to see if you have had an additional relapse and factor in how long you have been on this medication. If your in the early phases of the med than your neurologist wants to let the pill have some time. It took my Gilenya the first year to kick in and work as it should, most recent scan shows no progression so I guess something kicked in.

My neurologist has stated that the reason they are adverse to switching meds is due to a three month washout period where the incidence of relapse is high.

nutshell88
8 months ago

Well cant say you and and your neuro knows beat but all i would say with rebef i hat relapses and a single month is between each relapse and the other itvwas 2010 so i stopped all meds till now lesions fill my brain now but relapses stopped since 2011. So somehow they are silent lesions and got atrophy too but its quiet silent no relapses at all.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.