Last reply 1 year ago
Do we want TV exposure at any price?

Hollyoaks has a storyline with an MS sufferer taking her diagnosis badly. Great for dramatic storylines that get big ratings but the actors character gets on my nerves. What do other MSers think? Is this TV exposure good or just sloppy writing?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

@alanmac , I’m not a Hollyoaks viewer, but I feel it’s good that they have MS in a storyline. It can only help bring the term, MS, more into focus.

However, it is difficult to portray MS on TV as it is the “invisible condition”, which doesn’t lend itself to good television, which is primarily a visual medium.

sarahbee
1 year ago

Yes, it’s good to be in the media, but what would be the impact for someone newly diagnosed? I guess getting on with things doesn’t make for good telly. When I was diagnosed, the only thing I could remember about MS was the adverts in the 80s with the spine ripped out of the posters. And that’s because if we aren’t pitied, who would chuck a quid into a collecting tin?

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

I stopped watching it when they got rid of Carmel ? ? ?. I’m newly diagnosed and nothing really bothers me. way I see it I’m taking one for the team, kids are healthy and happy jobs a good en. I do know tho it may not be very helpful for other people that are not as “it be reet” about job as me. And like @sarahbee says doesn’t make for good telly cracking on with it. But that’s the way forward, never backwards.

That’s where shift comes in tho if we help raise the profile of this place it will only get more amazing ?. It’s like faceache but better he he

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

I think exposure is good thing and I saw on the news the actress met with a real mser beforehand. It’s based on true events of someone with ms. We all have different story’s tho. They do have to get ratings etc and keep the audience engaged or no one would watch it. It’s all about the drama.

red-suzuki
1 year ago

Well like a few here don’t & didn’t watch it, though any exposure as @stumbler says, to the public about MS has got to be a good thing aka, @sarahbee, @doubleo7hud, & hopefully as most storylines, they are taken with a dramatical pinch of salt. I did however watch the first ‘Jump” to see how Ms Karenna Cox got on & to me that was real exposure with a true athlete with Issues, MS being one of them….Anyway, thats My thoughts for what there worth. @Red Suzuki

edmontonalberta
1 year ago

I understand TV ratings which is why I hardly ever watch. The last thing I need is for anyone to “look at” or treat me different than before. As I told a friend when she said my news took her to a sad place – don’t go there because it will be very lonely; I will be elsewhere.

Life is a journey & we all know the destination. This is just another speed bump on my drive!

FYI. My first wife was diagnosed with Scleroderma at the age of 28; I was beside Donna when she took her last breath at 31 – she handled everything perfectly along the way. She never lost a friend; everyone liked being with her – that’s my plan while dealing with this challenge!

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

@edmontonalalberta no speedbumps here pal I just hit a cow in the road, I was driving a steam roller At the time, it’s got a v8 engine and goes like excriment off the end of a Greased stick.

alanmac
1 year ago

Sometimes no news is good news.
Often mental illness has TV coverage but it’s not good coverage. It’s often mindless violence and murder which is not representative of mental illness but good for rating.
I wonder if we’re better off without Hollyoaks portrayal of MS. Its hard for me to say ,(as a 60 year old with Primary Progressive MS), how others, say a teenager with Relapsing Remitting might react so how can a Hollyoaks scriptwriter concerned for ratings and their next contract know? I’m only saying.
I hope I’m wrong and we can trust a “soap” set in the north where most people speak like they should be on “Eastenders.
That’s not realistic or a fair representative of the region it’s set in. Why should it be different for MS?

highheeledfagin
1 year ago

I haven’t seen it but, as this is a disease that no two sufferers experience in the same way, I think it would be wrong for me to assume to decide how it should be portrayed. Just do your research and tell that character’s story well.

thecuriosity
1 year ago

I guess the point that needs to be hammered home is that every experience of a condition like ours is different and if it means people understand when i talk about my condition who maybe didn’t know about it before then great, and if they think that it’s the same for everyone i’ll do my best to explain that point. beyond that i’m not too affected i don’t think.

tracyd
1 year ago

I understand the need to raise awareness of mental illness within our nation. However using MS as a ‘vehicle’ to do so I do NOT approve of.

A diagnosis of MS is not an easy thing, but to have it presented in such a way that it implies that a mental break is a guaranteed ‘bonus ball’ to go with the diagnosis is factually incorrect and misleading

For people in the process of being diagnosed watching MS presented in this way must be really quite terrifying.

It seems to me this roughly as positive as getting newly diagnosed cancer patients to watch video’s on ‘what happens when cancer gets bad’ – the ONLY thing that will do is destroy all hope and positivity and as a direct result increases the ‘bonus ball’ take up rate.

In my view this is quite damaging for the MS community especially if they go down the ‘progression is a guarantee’ route. It presents us and our treatment options as being hopeless and stuck in the dark ages which is simply no longer the case.

It stresses me more that peole perceive that BECAUSE I have MS then I MUST also have mental health problems
It stresses me greatly that my insistance that actually I’m fine with the diagnosis, my treatment choice and my steps to combat this nonsense and that I have made progress in fighting back is viewed and percieved by some people as me being deliusional BECAUSE I have mental health problems which I’m in denial about because I have MS …

It’s a vicioius circle – yes it can happen but presenting one side isn’t productive

melissa-g
1 year ago

I also haven’t seen it, doesn’t play on TV in Canada! But I’d be interested to see how they portray it, and if/how they describe her symptoms. But like others have said I think talking about it and hearing the term MS is a good thing to bring some awareness to it 🙂

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.