laura94 09/01/18
Last reply 5 months ago
DMD routine

Hi everyone

I started on avonex about 10 weeks ago after my diagnosis in September. I am a bit of a needle-phobe and have been finding doing my weekly injection harder and harder since starting.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some techniques that they use to overcome any fears around taking their medication. I don’t want to have to go through an emotional rollercoaster every week before the side effects even start!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
6 months ago

Hi @laura94 , hopefully, the side-effects are starting to get better for you. But, I do understand the emotional impact that this weekly event can have on your quality of life.

Just out of interest, do you manually inject, or use an injector? The latter is preferred by most “needle-phobes”, as the actual injection is hidden from view.

If this is really making your life miserable, then contact your MS Nurse to discuss alternative therapies, e.g. Tecfidera or Gilenya, which are both administered orally.

nutshell88
6 months ago

I’ve been there worst of it is the deppressing feeling ibswear it felt like the end of the world sometime
Not trying to make u hate it even more.
Try to change the time u injcect it for example have 2 pain killer then avonex then sleep or any other time u prefer

A nurse used to inject it for me 🌚 based on her hand if shes talented i wouldnt be hurted so much
There wasn’t an injecter back then in my country

laura94
6 months ago

I use an injector so I don’t really have to see the needle, I think it’s mostly a mental block!

hassy11
5 months ago

Laura Hi, Hope your well. I used to self inject Many year ago I also had a phoebe for needles but i managed to overcome this. i can see the comments were also 1 month ago and this is my first ever comment so i do not know if the conversation is still live and if you need the advice. let me know.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.