Last reply 3 years ago
disorientation in shopping markets

Hi guys not that I go shopping a lot I usually shop online now because obviously one for the fatigue but the other thing that’s preventing me is an overwhelming feeling of disorientation !

When I go into say tesco or large shops I feel extremely overwhelmed by the busyness of just looking at items it’s almost like I just can’t focus … Do any of you get this ???

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

Gav
3 years ago

This may be due to an underlying anxiety that symptoms of your MS have exacerbated. I know that I do go aa little rabbit im the proverbial headlights sometimes, especially if it’s somewhere that I’m unfamiliar with.

us-emma
3 years ago

I get distracted easily in situations with a lot of visual or auditory stimulation- like large shopping centers. I find it difficult to focus on the task at hand.

Lists help but for example, I will read all the bottles of salad dressing before choosing one- I never used to do that.

My husband jokes that our grocery bill doubles when I shop with him (he used to go alone for 2-3 years prior to my having Lemtrada, because I had no energy to go). So I am trying to adjust to this sensory overload and stay “on task” 🙂

I do better online because I look for specific things and there isn’t the whole row of choices to distract me.

missytiggy
3 years ago

Hi, I found during my last relapse that my unsteadiness was worse in big stores. I didn’t quite figure out why..no thought it might be something to go with the high roof, sort of like vertigo. I’m better now but still like to have a trolley to hang onto! Xx

jman
3 years ago

I think its part the nature of shopping centres, and partly having a chronic condition!

Sounds very familiar, I tend to avoid shopping at weekends or during the sales, and prefer midweek, mornings, and take a break for a cuppa.

I can only manage so long before I start to phase out and either need to eat, or go home!

(I don;t have MS, but chronic renal failure) but I keep seeing symptomatic similarities (and some medication! ).

Online shopping is wonderful.. And a curse sometimes! 😀

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.