Last reply 4 days ago
Disabled Persons Railcard – issues

Hi all. I went to apply for one (a UK thing) of these and the website doesn’t list MS as being an eligible condition. That annoyed me so I wrote to them and cc’d my MP (Ed Vaizey) as it seems to be out of line with the Equality Act 2010. You can’t just pick and choose the disability you feel is worthy, surely?

Then went into apology and suck-up mode – which I hate because I feel that they think that by assuaging me alone then they won’t have to deal with the wider issue – and told me that upon a letter from my Doc I could have a DPRC.

I got this and then pointed out that there was still no way to – honestly and legitimately – apply online. Their reply was that I was to choose any category but upload my proof.

I replied that I wasn’t comfortable lying, for that is what it is, about this. I also observed that there was a bigger issue and that was that many people aren’t as bullish and bloody-minded as me and their site as-is left a visitor with the impression that unless one was in receipt of certain benefits (regardless of ailment) then they couldn’t apply.

Now they are squirming a bit. I am happy to press the issue. Does anyone here have any experience of dealing with them or have you been put off from applying by their site?

Thanks,

Dominic

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 week ago

Well done, @dominics , for fighting the good fight. 😉

watsoncraig
1 week ago

I called them and got bounced about phones. Got a Blue Badge but was told MS doesn’t meet their criteria

rea
1 week ago

Hi @dominics,
I had a family railcard & looked at disabled criteria when it came to renewal but at the time I only walked with a stick & wasn’t in receipt of any benefits so just renewed my family & friends railcard. This was about 4 yrs ago so looks like nothing has changed.

grandma
1 week ago

I applied for one via Tesco using some my points. Got a good deal so I only paid £10 cos of Tesco 3 x Voucher value. Wasn’t asked for any proof or letter, book all my tickets online, usually do it as advanced as I can cos I get a better deal on the price. Just tick the box for disabled persons railcard and have always got the discount. Worth trying?😜🙏🏻

dominics
1 week ago

@watsoncraig @rea – email me on [email protected] and I’ll send you the email exchange. It is a lengthy thread as I involved my MP and GP. I have also given out to them on Twitter. They couldn’t move that to a DM conversation soon enough. I then went all Victor Meldrew when the opening gambit was, “Hey Dominic…” As my grandmother was fond of saying, “Hay is for horses, not people”

Beat them round the head with it. I’m getting mine purely on the basis that MS is recognised as a chronic disability under the 2010 Equality Act.

A DPRC means you can use it at peak times and whenever someone is travelling with you they are also entitled to a 30% discount.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Dom

nobodyin
1 week ago

Oddly I got my disabled rail card due to having hearing aids? Could have had one years before I got MS. I thought the application RE my MS involved me being in receipt of PiPs, applied last summer, rejected, appeal this December coming, so no PiPs to show them. Hearing aids seemed an easier route.

dominics
1 week ago

@watsoncraig and @rea – I have trawled my emails. This is the killer one:

<<
DPRC <[email protected]>
Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 12:59
to me, [email protected],

Hi Dominic,

Thanks for your email about eligibility.

I’m very pleased to say that those with MS do qualify for the Disabled Persons Railcard, and all that you would need to provide as proof when you apply is a letter from your GP or Consultant which confirms that you have this condition.

I hope this helps to answer your query and thanks again for getting in touch.

Kind regards,

Kim
DPRC Email Team
<<

I was then told to apply online and I replied saying that there still wasn’t an appropriate option to choose. This was the reply:

<<
DPRC
11 Mar 2019, 16:12 (2 days ago)
to me

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your email about applying.

I can confirm that if you select any of the below options, this will allow you to complete your application and upload your documentation. Once this has been uploaded your application will then be reviewed for you.

Once again thank you for your email.

Kind regards,

Hayley
DPRC Email Team
<<

Call me suspicious but the term ‘reviewed’ sounded a bit weak. I pressed them for clarity and got this:

<<

Dominic Shadbolt <[email protected]>
11 Mar 2019, 22:41 (2 days ago)
to DPRC

Dear Hayley,

I trust you don’t think I am being obtuse; you are saying that despite my entitlement not remotely fitting into any of the categories on your site, I should select one of my choosing and pretend that it is the case and then when I upload my documentation all will be fine?

Thank you.

Regards,

Dominic Shadbolt

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 at 16:12, DPRC <[email protected]> wrote:
Good afternoon,

Thanks for your email about applying.

I can confirm that if you select any of the below options, this will allow you to complete your application and upload your documentation. Once this has been uploaded your application will then be reviewed for you.

Once again thank you for your email.

Kind regards,

Hayley
<<

So we remain at ‘reviewed’. Having included my MP and the MS Society Campaigns team I am pretty confident that they want me to go away and stop being such a pain in the ass. Nonetheless, what a palaver.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dominic

stumbler
1 week ago

@dominics , I can see a pattern of repetition in Hayley’s responses to you……..

rea
1 week ago

Morning @dominics
Persistent is your middle name; they must be loving you !
It’s just not on, we have jump through hoops to get anything with this condition.
I am in receipt of PIP now so I would fit their criteria but it’s the principle .They need a serious review of their policies.
KR
Serena

highlander
1 week ago

@dominics
We could do with a high profile politician to push some buttons.
Dame Ester Ranston I wonder….
Mp’s just don’t get it to be fair, far to busy arguing amongst themselves and achieving the square root of bowdiddly squat!

Just wondering do we have such an advocate if so where and who are they?
Keep on trucking, we’ll get there in the end.

thingy003
1 week ago

@dominics well done on pushing on this. I hadn’t even considered a Railcard but I might have to look into it, not just because I enjoy a nice discussion with this type of organisation…

vixen
1 week ago

@dominics, this may well lead to a rush of applications, so nice one for bringing it up and enabling Shifters to see that this is an option….

dominics
1 week ago

Brain real-estate I will never recover – some is now taken by a thorough read of the 2010 Equality act and various schedules. As MS patients we are golden.

What we are talking about here is unfair discrimination. I.e.: If something is available to a disabled person – by dint of their disability – then any and all MS patients qualify for the definition of disabled FROM THE DATE OF DIAGNOSIS and not when it may affect them and how it affects them.

If you are having trouble sleeping then get stuck into this: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/570382/Equality_Act_2010-disability_definition.pdf

There is an assumption that it will affect us somehow at an indeterminate point in the future.

I grew up reading Private Eye and don’t think there is pre-meditated evil at the heart of the public service and the administrative side of the ex-public service concerns (Though ATOC – https://accesrail.com/partners/atoc-association-of-train-operating-companies/ responsible for the cards now is private) rather huge amounts of general crapness at times.

@highlander – the Snowdon trust gave me a grant to study with and I was invited to a function where I met Dame Tanni-Grey Thompson, the patron – she is, quite understandably, pro-equality for disabled people. I may start pinging her on things too.

Will update.

Best,

Dominic

highlander
1 week ago

@dominics
An old adage springs to mind….
It’s not what you know it’s who you know.
Followed by… use it or lose it.
Ping away what’s the harm.
Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Wish you all the best.
I take my hat off to you.
Crack on mate.

dominics
1 week ago

@highlander – If you don’t know how, know who.

dominics
4 days ago

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.