Last reply 1 year ago
Diagnosed with Secondary Progressive MS

Has anyone else being given a diagnosis of Secondary Progressive MS without ever been aware of the Relapsing Remitting phase. Never aware of ever having a relapse?
I appreciate relapses might be hard to determine and a neurologist is an expert at evaluating your description of events up to this point.
What would prompt them to go for Secondary and not Primary?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

lorag
1 year ago

I think it’s when your symptoms don’t go away. I started with relapse remitting then a number of years later the weakness on my right side and numerous other new symptoms wouldn’t go away just stayed weak.

Do you have a symptom that isn’t going away.

hels99
1 year ago

It sounds odd but it probably doesn’t make any difference in terms of treatment – there are DMDs coming through for progressive MS now.
When I was diagnosed, my consultant said I’d probably had MS (RRMS in my case) pretty much all my adult life on the basis of a couple of (minor) episodes of numbness that I remembered during that time (the skin on my right shin went numb once upon a time and I lost sensation in half my face for a while years ago. These were odd enough for me to go to a GP who basically said ‘that’s odd, now go away’ which is what I did without worrying about it). So, if you had symptoms beforehand that resolved, they have probably made the SPMS diagnosis on that basis. Obviously though I know nothing and am guessing!
It worth asking them though for your own peace of mind.

stumbler
1 year ago

@paulx , a diagnosis of Secondary Progressive MS (SPMS) is based on your clinical history, and can seem subjective. You may find more answers here:-

https://support.mstrust.org.uk/file/secondary-progressive-ms.pdf

louisa
1 year ago

Hi, Yes, I had the same experience. I went straight from not knowing I had MS to being told by the neuro that I had SPMS. My nurse doesn’t agree though and thinks it it more likely that I have PPMS. As hels99 said it probably doesn’t really matter. My nurse told me that she would recommend future medication based on me and my condition rather than a SPMS or PPMS label. I hope that helps…

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.