Last reply 3 months ago
Depression and plain annoyance

I can deal with MS . I’ve accepted it and tried to have the best life I can even with all the ups and downs. Feeling good 1 day, bad 2, good 2 , bad 2 etc: Everyone that has it understands. I have relapsing MS. But most people dont have a clue about MS.,Some of us like myself look normal. So some people judge you he looks fine, don’t understand why he had to retire at 50 from nuclear plant I worked for 29 years. Friends , family, just don’t get it. And I say screw them. Bad enough what we are all going through but to have some people judge is worse. Now I do have some great friends and family that understand. But the others the hell with them. Anyone else relate!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

peterfrancis
3 months ago

@kbmsutton1

The lack of understanding and the outright ignorance from a lot of people is part and parcel of us having MS sadly.

We can try and help them by educating them… if we can be bothered to do so that is.

grandma
3 months ago

@kmbsutton1 the misunderstanding is a common theme. I was on my feet for 23 years and the family seemed to forget that I was disabled! Occasionally I used to comment and they would be a bit more caring for a few days but it soon wore off. Now I use a mobility scooter and an electric wheelchair for outside and all the family have deserted me, but I dared to get Breast Cancer as well 8 years ago, and none of them were able to deal with 2 diseases👹 So now I’m on my own apart from friends, and as the saying goes, you can choose your friends, but not your family.By the way, when I pop out to the shops in my mobility scooter, which I do cos it has a basket on the front and the electric wheelchair doesn’t, I get lots of comments from people like “do you really need that” and “of course anyone can go and buy one of those tomorrow. For years I used to get upset, now I just offer to swap with them for a day, soon shuts them up🥊😜

grandma
3 months ago

Sorry fingers didn’t work properly should have been @kbmsutton1 🤞

stumbler
3 months ago

@kbmsutton1 , don’t waste your time and energy on things that you can’t change.

Retired from a nuclear plant! You don’t know Homer Simpson, do you? 😉

kbmsutton1
3 months ago

Ha no I dont😊

merfield
3 months ago

@kbmsutton1, I empathise,I really do, but honestly….. how can non-MSers ever understand how it is for us? They can’t. Best to just have a rant on here then forget it like @stumbler says,
“ don’t waste your time and energy”. xx

kbmsutton1
3 months ago

Thank you for all the replies and I know people are in their own world and don’t really have time to understand what I’m going through. But I’m talking close friends and I know in my shoes if I had a close friend that was going through this I would sympathize and worry about them and try to help but that’s just me.

rivka
3 months ago

kbmsutton1, I share your frustration. Odd that people try to make you feel guilty for not looking more sickly. But it does show who your really god friends are sometimes. Hang in there, blow off some steam here, and go back into your life.

kbmsutton1
3 months ago

@rivka thanks. We’ve got enough to worry about right!

sfrox
3 months ago

People don’t emerge from the womb knowing what MS is and how it affects us. They are thinking about their own lives and not us most of the time. So what we sometimes interpret as an uncaring side of others is just honest ignorance combined with people being people.

Some people say MS teaches you who is “good” and “bad.” I really can’t agree. I get very down too and sometimes choose to not be with friends and make small talk, but my hope is that those feelings will pass and they do. Don’t focus on bitter theories. Don’t let MS push you away from your fellow man when you need them the most.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.