Last reply 1 year ago
daughter has MS (just diagnosed)

Hi,, My 31 year old daughter was diagnosed with MS yesterday,, we are all still reeling from the shock,, me as a parent just want to try and understand everything MS, its proberbly just my way of dealing with it. she may have had it for some time, we don’t know. Her symptoms were numbness in her feet, headaches, arms aching. ATM her symptoms are clear so that’s good. she is 12 weeks pregnant so any treatment wont start until after the baby is born. They found 2 lesions,, 1 active and 1 not. anyone else got similar storys.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

cueball
1 year ago

Shropslad – Shropshire? I’m from Chirk (Wrexham).

I’ve been diagnosed with MS for a long time (probably over a decade). The best advice I could give you is to make sure your daughter keeps herself as active as possible, and I’ve recently found Yoga to be very helpful – in fact, I wished I’d tried it years ago. If I could give myself any advice when I’d been first diagnosed? Join a gym and take up Yoga. Don’t think ‘hippy’, think intense physiotherapy. The more flexibility you use, the more flexibility you maintain. Exercise us also good for combatting MS fatigue, and in general, the fitter you are, the better equipped you’ll be to deal with MS.

stumbler
1 year ago

Hi @shropslad and welcome. It’s good of you to join us on behalf of your daughter.

I can understand your concerns. But, whilst MS is still an incurable condition, it is no longer the condition it used to be, if that makes sense. Medical science has moved on over the years and it is now a manageable condition.

Your daughter’s pregnancy should keep the MS at bay until the baby is born, due to hormonal changes. There is a risk of MS activity once the baby is born.

In the meantime, there is a lot of information available to you on the MS Trust’s website, which you will find useful :- https://support.mstrust.org.uk/shop

Always use creditable websites like the MS Society and MS Trust, rather than using Dr Google.

Otherwise, just be the loving, caring Father that I can see that you are. Concentrate on the pregnancy and not the MS. Be driven by your daughter’s needs. She should dictate when to talk about MS and when not to. Just be there for here with the knowledge for when she does want to discuss it.

As mentioned above, keeping active is essential. But, being a young Mother of three, being active will be a big part of that job! I’m sure you’ll provide the usual grandparent’s support to help her in the role,

sonia1984
1 year ago

I have had Ms probably since I was 16 and was just diagnosed at 31. I had no Ms issues when I was pregnant but did have what I think was a flare up after the baby was born. Your daughter has to try to keep busy and as a soon to be new mom she will be. Make sure she rests when she needs it as sleep helps a lot with Ms related symptoms. She might find her Ms symptoms worsen when her menstrual cycle comes back, IUD’s work wonders I credit it for alleviating the severity of some of my symptoms. Be there to listen and to remind herself to be kind to herself.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.