Last reply 8 months ago
Council Tax Nazis!

So moving from Disability Living allowance which was not included as income to Universal Credit which is, means we (I anyway) have to pay ear a ton every month out of the money the DWP pay me. Seems a cruel merry go round, central to local government. I have been on the phone for hours but seems the benefits we/some of we receive are now treated as earned income for Council Tax and we gots to pay £900 in my case. Anyone else experiencing this and any solutions found?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

8 months ago

I don’t know about Universal Credit as I’m on ESA, but with our council (Stoke) if you have savings below a certain level, about 12-16k depending on council, you payless council tax on a sliding scale down to zero. You will have to check with CAB to see if UC counts as income. Good Luck😍

8 months ago

UC does count as income and UC is coming all of your ways with Council Tax bills of over £50 a month. Start talking to your MP’s ASAP

8 months ago

@brianputman2103 , I’d pose the question to the Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) and the MS Society Helpline (0808 800 8000)

8 months ago

@stumbler – will do tomorrow but looks like each local authority has some leeway of choice!

Join to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.