Last reply 1 month ago
Copaxone Injection Sites

Hi everyone,

I have been on Copaxone for about two months now and I am still struggling with the injection site reactions. Even up to a week after an injection the injection site is still itchy and painful. Does anyone have any tips to make this a bit more tolerable?

xox

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 months ago

@sammy93 , this is a common problem amongst Copaxone users. In fact this is the 4th post with the title of “Copaxone Injection Sites”.

On this basis, it would be a good idea to search through the previous posts. The Forum Search function can be accessed by selecting the magnifying glass (top left). Then searching for “Copaxone Injection Sites”.

sammy93
1 month ago

Thanks @stumbler. I did that before posting but couldn’t find anything with any tips xo

stumbler
1 month ago

@sammy93 , try Googling “proper injection technique” to get some generic advice. Plenty of videos to watch……..

grandma
1 month ago

Not on Copaxone but had 23 years of weekly Avonex injections with red and itchy sites. Found they got less and less after a few weeks, flamed up again each time they ‘improved’ the make-up of the injections (4times in 23 years) so can only hope the same happens to you. Must admit I was put on Tecfidera at the start of this year and am thoroughly enjoying 2 tablets a day versus the big weekly injection.😍

bernadette
1 month ago

I was on Copaxone for 9 months, what helped me was to use an ice pack (wrapped in a tea towel) straight after I injected, i left it for 20-30 minutes and it eased the pain. I did find 3 times weekly injections were more painful than the daily ones. The other point is injection technique. I abandoned the injection equipment provided for me within a couple of days…so painful! I went to the self-injection direct at 90 degree angle, very much better. If you’re not confident with that method suggest you ask your MS nurse to help you with that method.
good luck !

sam10
1 month ago

I injected Copaxone every day for a year. The hardest and most painful place was behind of my right arm(I am right handed). Warm compress was very helpful for me. Subcotaneous injection is the best case, not Intradermal and not intramuscular. Make sure the depth of needle is correct. I never had any reaction.
Take care

mhworden
1 month ago

I’ve been doing daily copaxone injections for 10 years. Gave up on the back of my arms looong ago. Still get the odd itchy lump reaction. I find dabbing on some witch hazel helps to cool the spot and constricts the blood vessels if you have any bleeding. Calamine for itching. 😊

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.