Last reply 8 months ago
Cool sensation in spine

Hi everyone

Does anyone else ever experience a cool sensation down their spine? It’s so subtle that it’s sometimes hard to distinguish. It’s a bit like a flush only with a cool sensation that starts at the neck and goes down the spine. It happens fairly infrequently and disappears rapidly.

I’ve had this sensation a couple of times over the last month, before I started on Tecfidera. I don’t want to conflate every sensation I experience with symptoms of MS, but I wonder whether there’s a connection.

It’d be helpful to know whether anyone else has experienced anything similar? If you have, whether you’ve received a medical explanation for what might be causing it?

Thanks

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
8 months ago

@beefree , it might be Lhermitte’s sign. There’s some details here :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/lhermittes-sign

beefree
8 months ago

Thanks @stumbler, the description of Lhermitte’s sign fits what I’m experiencing. Really helpful, thank you.

I have a lesion between my C1 and C2 vertebrae. I wonder if I’m triggering it when I move my neck? If this is the case, do you think the movement might be causing further nerve damage? My posture is also dreadful after years of working at laptops and computers, so posture might be the issue.

The article mentions TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation). I’m really interested in this but don’t see much discussion of it on this forum and elsewhere. Have you given TENS a go at all?

Thanks

stumbler
8 months ago

@beefree , I haven’t tried a TENS machine. I may have considered it, but I’m the world’s best procrastinator.

But, here’s a little bit on it :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/transcutaneous-electrical-nerve-stimulation-tens

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.