sarahjay 12/03/18
Last reply 3 months ago
Contrast dye for yearly MRI scan?

Hi all, I have a question about the contrast dye used in MRIs. If I’m having a yearly MRI and there were no new lesions or symptoms last year, how important is it that they use the contrast dye? I really truly hate having a canella put in and I’m not very keen on the stuff they are actually injecting either. How much more information will it really provide?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 months ago

@sarahjay , here’s a short bit about MRI Scanning , with a section on Gadolinium, the contrast dye used :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/magnetic-resonance-imaging-mri

sarahjay
3 months ago

Thank you @stumbler . 🙂

debms
3 months ago

Having had 5 MRI brain scans a multiple spine/neck scans over the past 5 years the 6th brain scan last year was with contrast dye. This one picked up that I have a benign brain tumour that has been there through all the other brain scans but not spotted. In addition the dye enables the radiologist/neurologist to see if your MS is active! I hope this helps as it made me question what is the point of an MRI without dye.

studentandms
3 months ago

It shows if you have any current active leisons. For me the contrast is what finally gave me my diagnosis and gave an indication that I have quite active ms, which was proved a week later when I relapsed.

molly89
3 months ago

In the UK I was told at my last scan in Jan they would stop the MRI half way if they thought they needed to give the contrast dye. New rules. In the end I didn’t need it but have had it before.You may not need it.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.