Last reply 3 years ago
Compromised immune system?

Hi everyone, this may be a dumb question but I’m going to ask anyway. Does having MS (autoimmune disease) also mean that our immune system is compromised? As in we are more susceptible to getting colds, flu, infections etc?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

stumbler
3 years ago

@aussiekylie , I don’t think that it means that we are more susceptible to bugs and stuff. I believe it means that we can’t trust our immune system as it tries to nibble on our myelin.

When we do get a cold or infection, our immune system gets invoked and we can suffer a “pseudo-exacerbation”. This basically is a flare up of our existing MS symptoms, which can get emphasised.

But, this is not a true exacerbation/relapse, as things return to where they were, when the infection that caused it is cleared.

Does that help?

aussiekylie
3 years ago

@stumbler thank you, that does clarify things :))

brooke1
3 years ago

However, some of the disease modifying therapies (the drugs we take) *do* reduce our immune system capabilities a bit. Not too excessively. I just keep on eating my fruits and veg to give my immune system a boost 🙂

adbhoy
3 years ago

I was given this to take just over a month ago and tbh, I haven’t even opened the box yet as I am still a bit scared of what it will do to me. I keep saying ‘I will start it tomorrow’ but I am honestly petrified of it 🙁

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.