Last reply 3 weeks ago
Cladribine -flu jab or not? Help please!

Hi everyone,
So I have recently finished my 1st year of Cladrbine meds (7th Sept) and no symptoms thankfully. I have asked my Neuros p.a to ask the neuro if he would support or advise me getting the flu jab and if this would be okay with cladribine. Didn’t get a response for 2 weeks and ask when I attended the hospital for check up and blood to be taken. I was surprised when the nurse told me the team including my neuro had discussed this in a meeting. Apparently my neuro said he doesn’t see the point as cladribine would now have made my immune system low and flu jab would be pointless. The nurse thinks yes no harm in getting now and again when my immune system is back to “normal”. I am scared if I don’t I may catch the flu but if I do get the jab it may have some affect on my ms. What do you lot think, any experience with this as the “experts” haven’t been overly helpful.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 month ago

@bas76 , most MS websites recommend the flu jab. However, should you get the jab, when you’re on an induction therapy……………?

I haven’t seen any similar concerns with Lemtrada, so I would assume that it would be OK with Cladribine. After all, there are no “live” vaccines in the flu jab.

nutshell88
1 month ago

My neuro warned me from flu jab he said its so harmful to ms patients specialy those on ms treatment

bas76
1 month ago

Thanks @stumbler sounds logical but Im sure I read you had to get jab before you start Lemtrada?

sam10
1 month ago

I got my Mavenclad in may and June of this year. I never had flu shots in my life, and I’m perfectly fine. 👍

stumbler
1 month ago

@bas76 , I believe the Varicella Zoster Virus (chicken Pox/Shingles) vaccine is part of the Lemtrada protocol……..

bas76
1 month ago

@nutshell88 really surprised by that as ms society website support getting it?

bas76
1 month ago

@sam10 I am the same never had flu jab in all 41 years of my life, but when I caught flu last Nov and relapsed it’s made me think?

bas76
1 month ago

@stumbler thanks, just wish there were concrete guidance like this specifically for Cladribine.

nutshell88
1 month ago

@bas76 they seemed panicky when i mentioned it here

bas76
1 month ago

@nutshell88 I wonder what their thinking is, I have been doubtful about the flu jab even before I was diagnosed with ms?

nutshell88
1 month ago

@bas76 I’ve never had ii’ve never heard about it actually
First time i heard about it was in the uk when i was a student in 2015

bas76
1 month ago

@nutshell88 yeah I have heard of it from many years ago but always associated with the elderly. I can understand why it is recommended just sceptical as I have never had it. Now have MS and also worried about possible reactions?

wendyhills
3 weeks ago

@bas76 I’ve just come from my neurologist who wants me to start cladribine and advised me to get flu jab hope this helps

chezy17
3 weeks ago

I’ve just finished my first year of Cladribine also and after having a flu jab last year, I still caught the flu and had a relapse. This year I’m thinking of chancing it and just not have it, just had my first lot of bloods done and I’ve fought off a cold. My only side affects are I’ve felt really tired but it could be the change in weather as the cold affects me. I’m just gonna exercise and take my vitamins and hope for the best, may be wine for medicinal purposes 😊.

Take care

bas76
3 weeks ago

@wendyhills Thanks it makes sense, I actually got it done yesterday and so far so good, just make sure the vaccination is NOT live.
Good luck with the cladribine, so far no side effects for me but I am getting tired more but not sure if this is the meds or not.

negimaru
3 weeks ago

After the first flu-jab a blind spot appeared in my only good eye. Only disappeared after oral steroids. I will never take the flu-jab again. Not worth the risk.

dominics
3 weeks ago

There is extremely robust data to support getting a flu-jab if you are immuno-compromised.

the jab has, broA

dominics
3 weeks ago

There is extremely robust data to support getting a flu-jab if you are immuno-compromised. I can sdig out the clinical papers if you like.

The jab has, broadly speaking, two components. The inactivated virus and the carrier mechanisms.

The virus itself is constantly mutating and it is tracked around the world. A view is taken when it is in the Southern hemisphere that is a prediction on what it will be. The jabs are then manufactured with three iterations of the predicted mutations (hence trivalent vaccine – a term you may hear) by three (if memory serves) companies. GSK, Merieaux and Evans.

It takes about 2 weeks for the anti-bodies to develop in you. Sometimes the predictions are more accurate than others. Even in the worst case a higher degree of protection is evident.

It is crucial to have a jab as it mitigates any flu you get or prevents it completely. Unless you live in a pressurised bubble then the data supports the advice. get. A. Jab.

People seem to come out of the woodwork with reasons why, in their case, it didn’t work etc. You must put these one-off anecdotal stories into context with the massive amounts of positive data.

The chances of suffering injury and death from a flu jab is miniscule compared to a host of other day to day things that we give scant regard to.

http://www.theproblemwithdata.com – the very first article.

I have my jab tomorrow!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.