Last reply 1 year ago
Charley horse

I have a baclofen pump living in my belly to deal with baseline spasticity. But I am still plagued with painful charley horse cramps every night, and often during the day. It seems as soon as I get into bed and start to relax, ol’ Charley rears up. Sometimes I just have to sit up, or get up, move my legs around, and that takes care of it. But other times, I can be up for hours in pain. My neuro says to stretch, and be sure I’m hydrated, and yeah, I do all of that. Maybe this is just something I have to live with. I’m hoping someone out there has a miracle treatment for these leg cramps. I like horses, just not this kind.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

@zenhead , I don’t know whether there’s anything here to help you :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/spasticity-and-spasms

You may also want to get your Magnesium levels checked, as a supplement may help.

cocofloyd1
1 year ago

@zenhead I take a magnesium supplement and also use a magnesium spray directly on calves it really helps me along with regular stretching. Hope you get relief soon!

potter
1 year ago

When I was first diagnosed I had terrible leg cramps, if I was able to scoot my foot to the side of the bed and let it dangle that helped. I read a blog by another MSers that he found that they ended sooner if he relaxed. He relaxed by telling himself that it will be over soon, it always goes away. I did that and it helped also, but the thing that made them go away was going to a physical therapist. She gave me a list of a bunch of different stretches and made sure I did them properly. I have been doing them for nine years and haven’t had any more leg cramps. So get your neuro to refer you to a therapist and do the exercises you won’t regret it. Potter

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.