Last reply 7 years ago
cannibis spray?

Hi there, has anybody tried this? think its called sativex, I’ve been looking at it on the net but not sure how good it will be or how to approach my doctor or hospital with the suggestion?! Can anybody help? Xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

GMG
7 years ago

This may be of use?

http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.com/2010/03/sativex-in-ms-related-spasticity.html

If you do a search on the blog for Sativex, there are a few more articles there too.

T
7 years ago

As far as I’m aware, if your neuro thinks it would be beneficial, he needs to put together a case for funding, as it’s not been assessed by NICE so it depends on your local area whether or not you can get it. This link may explain a bit more:

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/resources/sativex-campaigns-guide

I only know one person who has tried it and she said it wasn’t really working for her, but she’d only just started it so maybe it takes a while to kick in. Hope that helps a bit!

DJDsouza
7 years ago

T, talking to the Doctor at the talk we were both at the other month (who looked as if he’s permanently on Sativex) he said it’s ore widely available now if your GP believes you’ve got a case.

T
7 years ago

I think the funding is still dependent on local authorities though. Amandalou, you’d have to check. The person I know who tried it out had to wait a while before starting it because her funding case had to be approved……

DJD – hope you’re well!

stumbler
7 years ago

I got told that Sativex would only be considered if all of the usual meds had been tried and found not to help……….

amandalou
7 years ago

thanks guys I’m just tryin to think of things to help as hospital are like my a**e in the 5 years I’ve been diagnosed they have only offered me tysabri which I didn’t want cos of the PML so it was me that did all checking other stuff out I’m on rebif now hospital was no help at all I know its not as strong as tysabri but I just want to try little things at mo stuff that’s not as risky! Bet that sounds stupid?! Xx

CrazyR1
7 years ago

I have been on sativex for about 3 years now & find it helps me alot.It takes the stifness out of my hands & helps the spasam in my legs,had a bit of trouble getting it to start with but now no probs getting it(still not as good as the real thing ;0)

T
7 years ago

Amandalou – no it doesn’t sound silly at all! It’s something that we all have to weigh up at some time or another!!

skippy
7 years ago

As far as I know you can only have sativex if you have tried all other medication, but are unable to tolerate them.
P.

glynjamyn
7 years ago

As Stumbler & Skippy say, the ‘official rule’ for neuro’s is that this is the last resort, so be prepared for a year or more of working your way down the list of despazmaloids – Baclofen, Tianidine, etc etc. However hopefully you might have a neuro who isn’t such a rulebook-follower!

CrazyR1
7 years ago

My neuro was grt with it i had already been on tazadine for a few years so he just said try this spray ;0)

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.