Anonymous 31/03/15
Last reply 2 years ago
Can you help me with a newbie’s dilemma?

Hi everyone, I’m new over here and English is not my first language. I hope that I can make myself understood. I’ve just been diagnosed with RRMS and I confess that I just don’t know what to expect. My head is all over the place and I’m really scared.
My neurologist was pretty cool. She gave me this list “copaxone, rebif, betaferon, and avonex” and some details about them all but told me to get informed and to make my own choice. Based on what she said and on what I’ve been reading I’m trying to decide between copaxone and betaferon, but it’s hard to be alone in this. My family is in denial and I have so many doubts and fears…
Thank you for reading.
Wishing you all the best,

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

2 years ago

@zepelim, Welcome! You could have fooled me! You write very well. I would not worry about that. I would worry about the list of drugs your neurologist gave you. They are very old and require painful injections for treatments that have been replaced by many better drugs. I am guessing you are being offered these choices due to their comparatively low costs. I would definitely find a neurologist or medical insurer to provide better choices. The difference will be very important to you as you get older. You can avoid many of MS symptoms by attacking it early with the newest treatments which are much more effective. Your neurologist should have offered you tecfidera. aubagio, gilenya, tysabri, and the newest and most effective is lemtrada. The first 3 are oral medications, the last 2 by IV. You should try to research as much as possible about MS and it’s treatments. This site has a lot of people with different experiences as MS affects everyone differently. There are also some medical professionals offering advice here. Look around! There are some great discussions by some really nice people all facing MS.

2 years ago

@zepelim , there’s some good reading here for the newly diagnosed

With MS, knowledge is power, so read up and pose any questions that come to mind.

PS Your english is very good. It would put some of our indigenous English to shame. 😉

2 years ago

I agree. I would say “No” to all the choices offered to you so far. They are all so much less effective and harder to take than more modern medications.

What is important to you?

These things might include how a drug is taken, how often and how effective.

Of these efficacy is most important to me but we each have our own preferences & needs.

Once you decide this many people here will be happy to share their knowledge and experience on each one.

Take care,

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.