Last reply 1 week ago
Can tinnitus be a symptom of MS?

As usual I am unable to sleep due tinnitus which presents in a low pitch sound with vibrations so I can actually feel it in my right ear. I have suffered from this for about 2 years. I also have a degree of deafness in that ear. As I also have MS, it occurred to me that the tinnitus might be connected. I would be grateful for any confirmation.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

dominics
1 week ago

I have had repeated episodes of tinnitus. For me it is characterised by a buzzing in one ear only. Randomly intermittent.

It occurs randomly every three years or so and lasts for what feels like forever and then I notice it when it is gone.

I am pretty sure that my deafness in certain frequencies comes from much motorbike riding, use of firearms and loud music when I was younger.

I struggle with the instant desire to blame every physical thing on MS as it is just easy. However, I know that, regardless of MS, we all deteriorate physically as we age so something may not be MS. Hard to tell.

stumbler
1 week ago

Hi @claudie4 and welcome.

The following article may help :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/hearing-problems

cameron
1 week ago

A non-MS friend who suffers badly from it has recently undergone sessions of acupuncture from a Chinese Medicine practitioner. It didn’t do much for her swollen ankles – the reason for the treatment – but reports that her tinnitus is very much improved.

grandma
1 week ago

I suffere from it ocassionally, mine isn’t the buzzing but at the right frequency, I find running water, screwing up a very thin plastic bag, stupid things but obviously they ‘hit the right note’ sorry for the pun, I assume mine is ms related but luckily so far, it only lasts a couple of weeks and disappears as quickly as it comes. It gives one an insight into the hell of those with it permanently. Never thought I would be grateful to have ms!😍

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.