Last reply 1 year ago
buying a mobility scooter

hi ,
having recently spent a lot of money and time on buying a new mobility scooter i thought it might be useful to put together a few thoughts for others so they dont make same mistakes.
firstly if the range of the scooter is important to you as it was to me,
get the range from distributor or manufacturer in writing ( e mail letter or brochure)
beware that the range will be different , depending upon your weight, type of ground your on and whether it is level)
also beware most literature says range up to 10 miles not approx 10 miles , this is a legal get out of jail free card as 5miles is up to 10 miles but nowhere near 10 miles.
Also be aware new lithium batteries do not get their full range till they have been charged and fully discharged up to 30 times , this may make things akward if you are trying to return the scooter as some deals wont entertain a return unless its within 1st 30 days.
Also as balance is an issue with most M.S. ers stability of the scooter is very important.
with this in mind always try to do a test drive outside on uneven paths and pavements and not just in the shop like i did.
Also bear in mind one wheel or two close together at the front do make for good turning but are not good for stability ( i have fallen over in mine) another difficulty can be when going up a ramp onto a bus or into a taxis , you need a certain amount of speed when going up a ramp but this going up an incline can cause the scooter to tip backwards lifting the front wheels of the ground as soon as this happens you have no steering , but are still be propelled forward by the back wheels (not good).
i hope these thoughts will be useful to some of you

yours martin

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

I was thinking of looking into quad bike as a option they have 4 wheels not sure about the legal side of it tho any ideas I really don’t fancy a mobility scooter

mmhhpp
1 year ago

I have an invacare colibri i highly recommend it! Good battery good power good stability!
I love it! Fits in car too when dismatled.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.