Last reply 2 months ago
Buy a WAV or rent?

I haven’t been on shiftms for a while as lots has been happening….. One of the things has been the option to either BUY or RENT a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle. ‘Fors’ for owning: availability 24/7 for visiting my partner in a nearby care home and picking sunny days for going out whenever I want to wherever I want for as long as I am able…… Anyone over 25 can drive. Cons for owning: initial cost of £5000. Road Tax. Insurance. Maintenance. ‘Fors’ for renting: no initial cost. No tax. No insurance. No maintenance. Cons for renting: having to book in advance (weather could be bad) £65 a day. £600 refundable deposit up front. £180 for weekends, £420 a week. Having to hope it’s not been pre booked. Not being able to be spontaneous.
Bearing in mind I’m in a wheelchair and housebound mostly. Is anyone else faced with a similar decision? I know I’m lucky to have the choice.
Any thoughts????

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 months ago

@merfield , is Motability an option, or has this been considered and discounted already?

merfield
2 months ago

@stumbler, no I’d thought I wouldn’t qualify. I read up about it once and I didn’t then. What does one need to qualify – or have you a link? Xx

stumbler
2 months ago

@merfield, you need to be in receipt of the enhanced mobility component of DLA/PIP.

The following may be useful :-

https://www.motability.co.uk/about-the-scheme/who-can-join/

merfield
2 months ago

@stumbler, thanks for that…..v v v helpful xx

cameron
2 months ago

Unless things have changed recently, I think there’s an upper age limit (65?) for new PIP applications, although people already in receipt of it continue with the payments as long as they still qualify medically for the benefit. As far as I know, Attendance Allowance is the only other possible disability benefit for over-65s but the clue is in the name – you’d have to be dependent on having care for your needs. No idea about the process, but I don’t suppose the government will make it easy! The only ‘easy’ one is the Blue Badge!

merfield
2 months ago

@cameron, thanks for your input. How right you are- through hoop jumping is the skill needed…..or strong hands to wring blood from stone!!!!i have a feeling I’m too old for PIP application ( 79 soon) . I’ll just have do bullit biting if I want a WAV I reckon.xx

merfield
2 months ago

I guess when one gets to be old one isn’t expected to want to go anywhere.im still 45 in my head. Xx

stumbler
2 months ago

@merfield , are you able to pop into your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)? They’re well up-to-speed on benefits………

merfield
2 months ago

@stumbler, CAB are in infrequently in the area unfortunately. Do you know if they offer advice by email? Thanks so much for your interest. Bob’s now in a care home locally so a WAV would be a boon for winter visiting.xx

stumbler
2 months ago

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.