Last reply 1 year ago
Blood tests prior to starting Tecfidera?

Can anyone tell me exactly what blood tests need to be done prior to starting Tec?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

@teal , this is a question best asked to your MS Nurse.

I’m sure it would be to get some baseline measurements so that they can monitor any differences caused by the DMT. 😉

Anonymous
1 year ago

@stumbler They have to check your lymphocytes are high enough too, and probably liver function. But I don’t know exactly.

Have been waiting ages to go on DMT. Finally had bloods done at hospital clinic on 10th Jan. Nurse kept saying I would get appt with her to do prescription etc but that didn’t happen until 14th Jan, and when I turned up, she didn’t actually have my blood test results from the hospital (different health authority) so couldn’t do it.

She said she would get the results and be in touch. You can only have a max of six weeks before the blood test results are no longer relevant. I contacted the hospital myself and asked them to send the blood test results to my nurse, but I don’t know if that has happened.

I have tried to contact my nurse twice since then myself, asking her to get back in touch and let me know what is going on, but have heard nothing. It is six months since I had my dx, I want my DMT, so I am going to take it into my own hands and ask GP to redo the bloods, except she doesn’t know what needs doing.

I am fed up. The whole thing is so inefficient and just wastes NHS money, apart from the risks of not having me on a DMT. Nurse is lovely but just seems to have far too much to do, so I don’t want to complain about her, I just want to get it done.

stumbler
1 year ago

@teal, ah, now I understand.

And, it’s very understanding of you to acknowledge the workload of your MS Nurse. However, you need to be able to move forward with your life.

You need to keep nagging your MS Nurse to get these formalities completed. Nagging that is in a very polite way. Get her to agree to a plan, with dates, and then make sure these things happen.

The sooner you get this DMT underway, the sooner you’ll be out of her hair, hopefully.

You could also consider the services of PALS, Patients Advice and Liaison Service, in your hospital. Although, you may feel that this may still be a bit of a complaint…..

Take control of the situation. 😉

Anonymous
1 year ago

I’m trying, but it is really difficult when people don’t reply to messages. Will go to GP and ask her to pursue it for me. Just such a waste of everyone’s time.

stumbler
1 year ago

@teal, it’s the squeaky wheel that gets the oil! And, yes, you’re right it is such a waste of everyone’s time. It’s no wonder the NHS are haemorrhaging money!

Yes, do ask and see if your GP can assist in the situation. Otherwise, make a nuisance of yourself, a polite nuisance. 😉

So for my wife they did a whole panel of tests but they included lymphocyte counts for sure. They werent going to do a JCV test, but we really wanted it so they did it. I think if Tec doesnt work for you, having the JC test done will help you think about what your next steps might be. Vitamin D and others are also good to have.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.