Last reply 3 years ago
Bipolar and MS

Hi,

I’m new here so first I’ll hello to all! Short introduction: I’m a PhD student in Chicago, beginning to accept the fact that I won’t be able to finish my diss on time. There are few reason, MS being only one of them.

My question is obvious from the title:
Does anyone here have Bipolar in addition to the Lovely MS? I made some research and it’s not uncommon for them to come together; no matter which might cause/influence which.

If you don’t mind I’ll use this place to complain and vent a little. It’s difficult enough for people to understand MS, especially one that’s not very physical; talk about Bipolar….

I’d love to hear from others, having to deal with the same situation. What do you do?

PS. Sorry for a long post, and please forgive my English (I’m Polish)

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

naim
3 years ago

my understsnding is that with bipolar you to have a manic episode to be diagnoised.

MS seems to be more of a shutdown.

but with MS you do get the ups and downs but i dont think or i hope they dont evolve into anything manic lol!
but i think if it did it will render you to have a relapse because your body and senses will shut down.
but thats just what i think – thinking out loud lol!

stumbler
3 years ago

A symptom of MS is “Emotional lability”. I should imagine that this could be confused as Bi-polar…….

kasica
3 years ago

I think I wasn’t clear: I do have diagnosed bipolar. I had it for a couple of years now. It just got worse recently and it’s very tiresome. Yes, some of MS symptoms might, or rather look like bipolar and that’s exactly what makes it so bad. I can almost never say, what’s what. Add to it various meds, how they interact, etc. and you can see why I’m whining…

Sometimes I feel like I’m going crazy (haha, pun intended…), but can’t really talk to anybody. I think it’s too much even for my psychologist, poor thing πŸ™‚

So here it is, my un-real life. Seriously, with all my meds I don’t think I remember how it feels to see the world at least a little “normally”

naim
3 years ago

@kasica i know 2 ladies that have bipolar and they super intelligent like you.
dont settle for less keep striving for your goals – and i think they can be achieved no matter what your circumstances by just having a bit of patience with yourself and being smart about your approach.
I think yoga and breathing techniques are good to calm and reset the mind – im going to really try and use that more as well. to help me deal with my difference of opinions with my parents and life in general i guess.

kasica
3 years ago

@naim @stumbler
Thank you guys for kind words! As usual I’ll just wait it out and keep going.

cazzzzzy
3 years ago

Bipolar like MS is neurological so us all here are probably prone … I know a couple of people with Bipolar and they both find meditation and diet have helped them…

Good luck πŸ™‚ xxx

kasica
3 years ago

@cazzzzzy

Thanks. I’ve just wrote a really long reply but my browser crushed so it’s gone. Maybe that’s for the best πŸ™‚

Short version: yes, I know, and I’m on maaaany meds. Recently I had really bad anxiety episodes so my psychiatrist gave me Lexapro (added to Lamotrigine and Bupropion). Of course I had Lorazepam and Zolpidem “as needed”, which meant every day at that time.
To somehow function (I teach, don’t ask how), I had to add Adderrall.

When I got more or less fine, my MS reminded me it was still there for me… So I have fatigue, etc., etc. I have no idea what comes from what: bipolar, MS, side effects, or mixing all of that together. My body is so tired that it refuses to even think of Adderrall.

So here I am, doing nothing, not even able to read anything. Watching TV is too difficult (my eyes are getting somewhat worse). AND, to make it even more interesting I got cold πŸ˜€

Yeah, the only thing left to do is laugh πŸ™‚

Sorry for this long thing! I just needed to whine a little. And could someone say what a brave girl I am?

XOXO

cazzzzzy
3 years ago

Hi @kasica ! … Wow yes you sure are one brave cookie!!! … What a load you have to think about… I’d say whine and rant all you need to!

Crickey Christmas on top of everything too! … But if you teach I am hoping you have a couple of weeks off now to take time out?

xxx

kasica
3 years ago

Thank you @cazzzzzy! Yes, Holliday break so I have few weeks off. And I decided to do nothing. Literally nothing! πŸ™‚

I hope you’ll have time to enjoy Christmas.

XOXO

cazzzzzy
3 years ago

Your holiday break plans sound perfect!!! πŸ™‚ … I am trying to get organised so I can spend time doing nothing! … Non stop wrapping at the mo but I look forward to when I can stop! πŸ™‚

Have a great and relaxing Christmas time!!! xxx

naim
3 years ago

@kasica i love that the new nothing way lol! doing nothing is the “new holiday” lol! whenever i go on holiday i need another holiday to recover from it lol! so i think i prefer doing nothing as well lol! #content #relaxed #happayholiday lol

kasica
3 years ago

I know how tiresome holidays might be :). Once in a while one has to take a real break and Christmas seems a perfect time, So:

Eat, drink, and be marry all MS-ers out there!!

xoxo

stumbler
3 years ago

@kasica , you can’t marry all the MSers out there, you’ll get arrested! lol πŸ˜†

Enjoy your Xmas. πŸ˜‰

kasica
3 years ago

@stumbler, Hahaha! In all my merriment, “e” changed to “a”. Freudian slip? πŸ˜†

smallbrowngirl
3 years ago

Hi @kasica

I’ve recently had a very traumatic experience – I suffered a manic episode :o(

I’m on horrible Risperidone – which effects many things and certainly heightens MS symptoms.

I’m on the road to complete recovery, but don’t certainly want a repeat episode. A may be a coincidence put I had started to inhale some weed – it totally helped relaxed me – I smoked copious amounts at university. But maybe my MS mind didn’t take to it too well. Did it assist with my manic episode??

abho

kasica
3 years ago

Hi @smallbrowngirl,

I’m “lucky” enough to have Bipolar II, so I don’t get a real nasty mania. But I feel for you. I hope you’ll be “back to normal” soon πŸ™‚
My Med soup includes: lamotrigine, bupropion, and recently added lexapro… I got the last one when I got really bad with anxiety lately. And I think it gave me some lovely hypomanic time. To be honest I love it, as long as it lasts… Then I have to pay all the damage it did, financial not the biggest one sometimes. Well, our luck.
I have a question: do you think that manic episode counteracts MS fatigue? It seems so for me. Before I got into the world of high spirit I started having fatigue. Now of course it’s gone. Adderall most probably helps πŸ™‚

Hang on there and think that the next step is depression! Keep me posted πŸ™‚

XO

smallbrowngirl
3 years ago

Hi @kasica

I despise being on this medication. When I was discharged from the ‘mental’ hospital, I was and still am being closely monitored by the β€˜crises’ team. My Manic episode certainly did counteract fatigue. Being Manic is a state of Euphoria – I was up for almost 72 hours at one point. I did not feel fatigued at all. Mania is actually the polar opposite of depression – so I’m really not looking forward to seeing how my body will react to this particular trauma in the future. All I know is, is that I’ve been referred to a CAT (Crisis Assessment and Treatment) team who will determine my medication routine etc. It’s just a waiting game & I hate it. It’s like I’m being punished for being overwhelmingly positive and having humongous Faith; which I don’t need to label btw and I can tell you is extremely difficult to sustain in the world that we live in today; one which is governed purely by over rich corporations with whom swamp the general public with fear

amen

abho

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.