Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@mcgibaqt , now that would almost be like winning the booby prize! lol 😆

No is the short answer. DLA, now PIP, is awarded when your disability is preventing you from enjoying a normal life, meaning that you’re incurring extra cost.

And, the amount of qualifying disability is now tightly (some would say, unfairly!) assessed.

Here’s a self-test that you can do to see how you’d “score” in a PIP Assessment :- http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test

If you feel that you have a case, then discuss it with your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau.

mcgibaqt
3 years ago

Hmmm.
On the government website:

https://www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010

it says:

Definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010
You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

What ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ mean
‘substantial’ is more than minor or trivial – eg it takes much longer than it usually would to complete a daily task like getting dressed – ‘long-term’ means 12 months or more – eg a breathing condition that develops as a result of a lung infection.

Progressive conditions
A progressive condition is a condition that gets worse over time. People with progressive conditions can be classed as disabled.
However, you automatically meet the disability definition under the Equality Act 2010 from the day you’re diagnosed with HIV infection, cancer or multiple sclerosis.

Meaning if we have been diagnosed then we automatically meet the disability definition? No?

I’ve only just found this so that’s hy I’m asking the question. But if MS is specifically mentioned then surely we qualify? (HATE HATE HATE we are put into the same sentence as HIV and Cancer!)

stumbler
3 years ago

@mcgibaqt , the way you have to consider the question of eligibility is to look at yourself when you’re having a really bad MS day.

It’s difficult for us to be that objective as it becomes very emotive to look at ourselves in a worst case scenario. Hence the need to third party, objective advice.

There’s absolutely nothing to stop you from making a claim. Just get some professional advice to help you with the application process, e.g the CAB. Or take the advice offered on the Benefits and Work website (http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/). They do have an annual charge to use some of their in-depth stuff, but this is fairly negligible.

A PIP application is a long process, possibly 6 months or more. But, if you are successful, you award will be back-dated to the date that you originally requested an application.

If it keeps that terrific smile, then go for it. 😉

Anonymous
3 years ago

hi @mcgibaqt “Do we automatically get PIP? Are we automatically classed as disabled no matter how serious the disease?”

I really don’t see the interest to be classified as a disabled person if you still can walk, think, memorize, that is to say if you don’t have serious mechanical or cognitive problem … It’s a deal between you and you, but a dangerous deal.

I don’t know what means “PIP” but I guess is the result of steps to get a position of “disabled person” in UK. As long as you can dupe your brain thinking and showing it you are not disabled, the better it is.

Warm regards,
Eric.

andyc67
3 years ago

Just adding my 2 cents, ive automatically been changed from dla to pip indefinitely.

short n sweetish

rgds

Andy C

jman
3 years ago

PIP replaces DLA, in most cases. Its being ‘rolled out’ across the UK, so if your on DLA, you may need to re apply for DLA before you claim PIP, like I just have. Depending on where you live.

Hopefully I’ve made the right choice for now.

I’ll be getting an ‘Invite to claim PIP’ in October this year according to the timetable

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/2992-18-new-pip-areas-announced

grahamjk
3 years ago

Hi @mcgibaqt we do not automatically qualify for PIP. The main catagories are daily living component and mobility. There are 10 parts to the daily living and 2 for the mobility part. I’ve just had my decision from the DWP for the second time and the decision was low rate in the mobility component 10 of 12(21.22 per week) as my walking is poor. But as I live on my own the daily living component was scored 4 of 8-11 points

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.