geordie57 17/12/17
Last reply 3 months ago
Avonex pen

Hi everyone, has or is anyone having problems with how hard it is to use the pen for Avonex? I’ve even requested a new batch which is also really hard to press😬 it even jumps out and takes 10-15 mins of hard pressing 😝thanks

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

laura94
3 months ago

So glad I saw this! I’ve been having trouble with my most recent batch, and last night actually failed to complete the injection as it jumped out of my leg. Did you speak to the pharmacist about it? Did they have any advice for how to overcome this?

I find doing the injection hard enough mentally, it shouldn’t be so hard physically as well

geordie57
3 months ago

Hiya. Totally with u that mentally it’s hard enough having to do these injections😬 . I mentioned it to my neuro who said to ring the people who provide you ( mine is hah) and ask them to send another batch out! They did although only 2 out of 4 been ok so far 😖. The pharmacist never called be back! Yes one of mine jumped back and half the stuff came out! My ms nurse said never take another one afterwards and wait till next week!! Where are you based? Are u uk? Kerry x

nutshell88
3 months ago

I used to go to a clinic 20 minutes away by car to have it injected another reason why i stopped it lol i didnt know about this pen.good luck with it x

laura94
3 months ago

Hi Kerry,

Yeah I called the pharmacy too and they told me to make a note of the batch number so they could see if there might be a faulty batch, but now it’s in my sharps bin with all the other ones and I don’t know which one it was! 😓

I’m UK based too, from Leeds but live and work in London 😊

geordie57
3 months ago

@laura94. I had the same batch number both times! Gonna call tmr and request more. I’ll see if there is a way they can give a different batch! Hope u enjoying London! I’m also norther ( Northumberland) now living in midlands!

@nutshell88, I wonder if that was before the pen was introduced!? When it works it’s good but when it sticks it’s horrid! What do u use now ? X

nutshell88
3 months ago

I was daignosed 2005 I was off treatments because my parents never told me about my daignosis hehe I hobestly thanked them for that it. It would of ruin my youth to know. But when i knew in 2010 i requested treatments took all rebef interferon a1 betaferon avonex in a year and a bit 2010 2011 then I stopped treatments all till today side effects won I lost the challange couldnt tolerate it. Now My MS likes to do its dirty job silently 😒 i have so msny lesions my brain has atrophy but
all these yrs passes with no relapses. I’m 0.0 disability Saudi and lived in Scotland three yrs basically ms is giving me a long break for some unkno
wn reason…

turboprop
3 months ago

I have been having the same trouble. I have been using the Pen since it’s
introduction, but since last spring, well over half of the injections have been
extremely difficult. For a couple of years I was easily able to inject myself.
Last spring the injections became almost impossible. No matter how hard
I would press the injector button, nothing would happen. This has made my
weekly injection something that I now dread.

lm85
3 months ago

Hi @geordie57 – is this a problem that you’ve only started having recently, or has it happened before? It may be that you’ve been landed with a bad batch, but if not… I had a few struggles with finding the button impossible to press, and my (extremely helpful) nurse assessed my technique and pointed out that I wasn’t always pressing the pen itself firmly enough down to actually release the safety lock. You do have to press it really quite hard into your leg before you press the button – sometimes it seems like pressing too hard, but it does the trick! Since she explained that I have found it easier – there are still occasions when it takes me 3/4 goes to get the button to engage, but if I have trouble I usually just adjust the pen’s position slightly, push it down as hard as I can, and then it works. Apologies if I’m stating the obvious, but just thought it was worth sharing my experience in case it helps anyone. Good luck x

geordie57
3 months ago

Hi @turboprop, the last 2 batches and they have the same batch code so it does seem like that may be the problem but I’ll see how this weekend goes! I will also let the pharmacist know the batch number! May be others!

@Im85, thanks for sharing, I will keep in mind when next injecting. Thanks
Kerry x

turboprop
3 months ago

Thank you for all the valuable information. I realize now that I may not have been pushing hard enough. Maybe I am reluctant because I fear the needle hitting my leg bone. I am not very heavy and this keeps me from pressing the Pen in to my leg. Thank you, for helping me find the Solution to the problem : )

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.