tabbycat 25/03/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Audio books

I started this thread because I know lots of people have trouble reading sometimes and books are great for escape , so not being comfortable reading is so frustrating.
There is a great ap called audible books, which has thousands of books read cover to cover that you can stop and start listening to when you like. A huge number of the books are completely free and there is a small fee for more recent books still in copy right. Enjoy!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

graham100
3 years ago

Thanks. Found that app a while ago. There is a very large amount of free ones. Great for the flights. I hate reading, read same line then loose the plot. lol. Just listening is easier. And the flight seems quicker.

gormenghast1957
3 years ago

Here’s another source of free books and things: – http://www.openculture.com/freeaudiobooks

The books are a little limited as are the films. If you like John Wayne you will be happy. Having said that, there are a lot of things I would listen to or watch. There’s a lot to be learned from watching the old film – politics.

As with all these sites there are not indefinite supplies of freebies and you need to pay after a month.

If you have a lot of external hard drives, a site that could keep you well and truly occupied is: – http://www.allyoucanbooks.com/?gclid=CLvQ1t72xcQCFWfJtAodmQoAKw

Knock yourself out on downloads.

bookbub.com Has loads of freebies and plenty of really cheap books and those via Amazon have plenty audio versions.

I have recently invested in a Kindle (the bargain bucket version) to see how I might be able to return to reading. I may listen to some of the books too.

I have always been an avid reader until shortly before I was diagnosed with MS and since then my love of books has been purchasing them for other. Shortly after ‘MS Day’ I borrowed Black Dog by Ian McBain. I had read a number of his books and Stuart, landlord of my favourite pub, said it was a good read. Post ‘MS Day’ I wasn’t allowed to drive for 3 years and reading filled the void in my life while rattling along on a bus. It’s probably a good read. I’m still reading the book 10+ years after MS Day. Cogitative impairment has meant that I cannot retain anything on paper. It’s not just books but also letters. I have unopened post dating back over 2 years as it’s become so bad. A computer screen is a different matter and I hope it will apply to my Kindle. I will let you all know in a few weeks time. The book I’ve started is a freebie from BookBub and if I’m feeling lazy I can listen to it from the computer.

Problems with reading is a very serious issue. It gets little attention. It’s impossible to live in a world where you can escape the written word. If you have certain conditions and cannot read, audio books must be a godsend. It doesn’t answer the why I can’t remember what I have just read at the end of a paragraph. I have a fantastic memory and recently was quoting verses from a Shakespeare play that I had studied at school and they weren’t the verses you needed to pass an exam.

Get stuck into audio books. A decent author has the power to transport you into a different world, a world that you can choose as you have an interest in different planets, their people, technology or you revel in the seedy life of members of the underworld.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.