Last reply 9 months ago
Aubagio experience wanted!

Hi All, well it’s been a year since diagnosis and I’ve finally been to see a neurologist (a different one who diagnosed me… they never sent me follow ups and referred me to a retired ms nurse so got lost in the system despite my regular chasing up). They have advised that I should start Aubagio or Tecfidera… I’m leaning towards Aubagio at the moment and would love to hear from anyone with any experience of this dmd. Thanks all x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
9 months ago

@amyb , it will be you that is taking this treatment, so you need to have your say too.

The following link tells you all about Disease Modifying Therapies (DMTs) :-

https://support.mstrust.org.uk/file/store-pdfs/MS-Decisions-ALL.pdf

The latest thoughts on treatment is to hit MS hard and fast, using the most effective treatments. This avoids the potential to incur further MS damage with less effective treatments.

You also have to consider how the DMT fits into your lifestyle, both now and in the future. If your family is complete, then this decision becomes a bit easier. But, any thoughts of Motherhood is a major consideration.

amyb
9 months ago

Hi @stumbler thanks for your reply. I have type 1 diabetes and inject numerous times a day already which I why I decided injectables wouldn’t fit into my lifestyle. I do not plan on having any children now or in the future so that aspect does not bother me. I wondered what side effects people have experienced and whether they believe it to be effective. I will check out your links for advice as well 🙂

stumbler
9 months ago

@amyb , use the Forum Search function (magnifying glass top left) to search for previous posts of other member’s experiences of Aubagio and other DMTs.

spunky
9 months ago

Hi @amyb
I have been on Aubagio for 2 years now and the only side effect I have had was hair loss between months 4-7. The thinning of the hair happened evenly and it is all back now but it was definitely a bit concerning at the time. I take the pill once a day and it is very easy as you don’t need to take it with food. My stomach also hurt for the first week but I am not sure if that was the pill or I was just anxious about starting a dmt. The first 6 months you have a blood test every month then it changes to every 3 months to monitor your liver. I have had no changes.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

amyb
9 months ago

Hi @spunky thanks so much for your reply 🙂 it’s good to hear your account and it helps me feel hopeful and that it’s not as scary as it sounds sometimes!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.