Last reply 3 years ago
Atos assesment any tips..??

Hi y’all I have my Atos assessment tomorrow and just wondered has anyone got any tips..?? I have read the booklet from MS UK about PIP and MS and in it, it explains how the points system they use works.. or not..!! but have been reading up some worrying stories online of some people being given 0 points and then on appeal being given 25 because the assessor decided that even with their disability they were not eligible for PIP… :-{ I was fine before but now I am getting a little anxious about it. Any tips on how to cope with this..?? :-/

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

Answer any questions as if you’re having a really bad day.

This isn’t about how you feel on assessment day, but how you are on your worst days. So, highlight the problems you have with mobility and doing the normal household duties, when you’re really suffering. 😉

northernlass
3 years ago

Thanks @stumbler I’ve phoned a nice lady on the free phone number at MS UK and made loads of notes and she gave me some great pointers to keep in mind when answering the questions.. can I do the task SAFETLY and within a normal amount of TIME for the task.. if the answer is NO then that will count towards points. And also if during a task does it cause me any PAIN and do I need ASSISTANCE with any task if the answer is yes then that will also count. I’m going to organise my notes and get all my paperwork ready to show the assessor.. She also pointed out that I can asked for the assessment to be recorded and then ask for a copy.. fingers crossed all goes well and I get the result I hope for.. I will let you know how it goes 😀

northernlass
3 years ago

All done… lovely lady and I think it went well… I was prepared with notes and all my bits of paperwork from doctors.. details of all who are involved in my care. So now is just the waiting game to see how the decision maker goes… Yay or Nay.. :-/

lina
3 years ago

Fingers crossed for you everything works out.

Lina x

northernlass
3 years ago

Just to let you know I have had my decision back and have been accepted for standard rate on both care and mobility and back payment couldn’t have come sooner as I had to buy a new car on the Monday (an automatic with power steering.. bliss) and the decision letter came through on the Wednesday.. my advise about the assessment is get ALL the paperwork you have together and a list of medicatons even if you wrote all of that down with the initial application, Get advise from either MS UK or MS society,make notes about what they advise… revise notes.. make more notes so that you have all the problems that you face written down to refer to during the assessment. Good luck to anyone going through this process… very very long wait but I’m chuffed with the result.. (Might have to do it all again in 3 years time when I will be reassessed.. :-/ but hey hoe.. )

sunnydaylover
3 years ago

I had assessment on 8th january and got word back today. I didn’t get enough points. Was surprised it was back as quick as when she left she said it would be about 6 weeks. I could appeal, but I am not so bad, I can feed myself and can walk x amount. Today I have walked,but the latter half of the walk I was linked to hubby as my legs starts to kind of swing round and my foot was dragging…oh the joys.
Glad you got news northernlass!!

northernlass
3 years ago

@sunnydaylover you must appeal it and tell the decision maker within one month that you want to appeal their decision. Get some advice from MS UK and make notes of what they say as there is a special wording for telling them that you will be appealing but you must do it within the month of the decision date. What I was advised by the woman at MS UK was that if doing a task causes me PAIN or it makes you feel UNSAFE or that it takes you longer to achieve a task so TIME and also if you need ASSISTANCE be it an aid or someone helping you (Hubby should also count helping you get home on your walk) Be strong and let them know how life is for you now with a diagnosis of MS.. best of luck with an appeal @sunnydaylover.. you will have nothing to loose.. let us know how you get on 🙂

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.