Last reply 2 weeks ago
Ask

I am still me. Yeah I might not do what I once did, but I still want to do it.

After my diagnosis (PPMS) I had a few years of not much changing until the last 10 months. No longer can I carry a full cup of tea or coffee, without God forbid spilling it, hoover the stairs nor walk more than a kilometer (0.62 of a mile to us more experienced) without becoming an LMFAO lyric, “Everyday I’m shuffling”.

There comes a time in one’s life when you realize that “you cant”. We are all different in when that is but trust me, when you accept that “you cant” and ask for help your life changes.

Your life changes for the better. Instead of struggling and people wondering “Why?” You get things done with a little help.

It is very difficult to admit to yourself that you need help let alone ask for it without feeling weak. Did Burke feel weak getting Hare’s help, who fed Hawking?

It’s hard to struggle and even harder to ask for help. Asking for help is not weak, it is actually a sign of internal strength. How many times have you heard the mantra “Know your limits”, well its true. Knowing you can’t do something without help is better than struggling alone and failing to do it.

So when I need help to walk any distance, I ask and get the assistance I need cause as Ed Sheeran sings “When you legs don’t work like they used to before”, he could have been talking about me. I do apologise for the use of lyrics.

If YOU think you need help, ASK.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 weeks ago

Good advice, @watsoncraig . 😉

vixen
2 weeks ago

@watsoncraig, right on. I like that you always tell it how it is! Think it’s particularly hard if you’ve always been quite a driven person. So it’s a massive life adjustment to suddenly think differently about direction. I listen to music all the time but not sure what the LMFAO acronym is….

watsoncraig
2 weeks ago

Thank guys.

LMFAO is the name of a band that had a song “Everyday I’m shuffling”. LMFAO is apparently in that weird language of text shorthand for “Laugh My expletive Ass Off”

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.