Last reply 3 weeks ago
Arm cramp and pain – any remedies

Hello

Hoping some of you fabulous people will have dealt with this and found a solution. It appears that when my arms get cold I end up with cramp and shooting pains in that arm. It feels like someone is pushing pins under my nails. Now barring not getting cold… has anyone found a successful way to ease the cramp and pains? I’ve tried heat packs and painkillers but they’ve not helped. Massage helps briefly but doesn’t resolve it. It can take 4 – 6 hours to pass. It’s a small inconvenience but if I’m missing a trick and there’s a solution I’d love to hear it. I’m working hard on not getting cold but it appears my thermostat isn’t great at the moment so I find it hard to notice I’m cold. Thanks so much.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 month ago

@rachelteasdale , get in contact with your MS Nurse and talk to them about it.

Spasticity is normally treated with Baclofen, a muscle relaxant.

rachelteasdale
1 month ago

@stumbler thanks so much

rachelteasdale
3 weeks ago

Bumping this as things have got more permanent. Clearly when I posted I was at the start of a relapse and can’t get in touch with MS Nurse as it’s the holiday. My right arm is stiff and the cramp (in both arms) is driving me crazy and making sleep difficult. Also, any touch on my right arm feels like being burnt. Anyone got any advice? If not I’ll sleep and try to eat healthily and hope this passes quickly. Thanks so much, Rachel

stumbler
3 weeks ago

@rachelteasdale , there seems to be two problems going on here :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/spasticity-and-spasms ; and
https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/altered-sensations .

In the absence of your MS Nurse, you might want to see if your GP can help you out. Gabapentin is specified by NICE as a first line treatment for spasticity, as well as sensory symptoms, so would seem to be something to try. If your GP is cooperative.

rachelteasdale
3 weeks ago

@stumbler – thanks so much

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.