thecuriosity 31/10/14
Last reply 3 years ago
Anyone who's a scuba diver?

Need some advice, I’ve been wanting to learn for some time since before my first relapse this year, and so signed myself up on a course for this month. however, when it came to the forms, there was a question about MS. The diving club refered me to the hyperbaric clinic at whipps cross, who have said that I’d need to go for a medical in 3 months so they know ive been on medication for a while and haven’t had any problems in that time. Should I basically hang fire on the course and leave my money with the club, or is likely that I won’t be able to actually do diving as a risk and I should give up altogether?

Just thought if anyone here knew how it might pan out, it would be good to know now.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

3 years ago

I’ve always fancied SCUBA diving, as I’ve always been at home in the water.

I’ve been to the Maldives twice (2009 & 2011) and that was the place to do it, but some irritating MS symptoms put me off. So I made do with a bit of snorkelling.

Unfortunately, the second time I went, my legs didn’t have the power to drive the fins.

But, I can’t see why MS should prevent you pursuing this goal. Hyberbaric oxygen is a treatment used frequently with MS. This involves being pressurised up to equivalent depths of 16 feet, 24 feet or 33 feet. So, if MSers can handle this, then SCUBA diving should be a piece of cake.

Good luck. 😉

3 years ago

i hope this answers your question

3 years ago

I became certified after about 8 years with MS and had no problems. I have always been a strong swimmer and was surprised I could best my husband in that part of the test.

I was not asked to do any special testing above what is required for the general public.

Good luck!

3 years ago

The main problem for me seems to be that I was told that I would need to wait three months from starting my treatment to have a medical, which means I can’t do the current course. the doctor I spoke to Didn’t seem to think there would be an issue, but seemed keen to dissuade me from doing the course in case ‘something happened in future and I wasted all that money’. I also don’t want to get the club into bother if something happens to me during lessons.

Thank you though, because I was sure this shouldn’t be a problem, and it’s quite reassuring to know other people have done well.

3 years ago

Is it expensive there? I think it was less than $100 USD here.

Maybe ask a medical friend (nurse, EMT, etc) to accompany you?

Don’t give up your dreams/goals for this disease- over the course it will make you give up far to much of what you planned for your future. Fight the important battles to you and stay on strong therapy so you are best prepared to take advantage of future treatments!

I did this and gained function back (11 year diagnosed) after Lemtrada therapy in April. As a medical provider I NEVER thought I would get better- as a rule people with MS don’t get better, so my outlook was realistic but ultimately proven wrong- I did get better, siginificantly so!

Bottom line- don’t ever give this disease more than what it takes without you permission!

If you want to read my story there is a blog on the experience at

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.