Last reply 3 years ago
Amitriptilyne

Have any of you been prescribed this for pain? If so how long did it take to work? All it seems to do is make me tired

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

jdd0310
4 years ago

I use it, the main reason I stick with it is because it makes me tired, so I get a good nights sleep. It’s also supposed to be good as an antidepressant maybe that makes me sleep better as well. I take it every night about three hours before I go to bed. I’ve got PPMS so I don’t expect it to do much more for me.

stumbler
4 years ago

@hburk , Amitriptyline is also given to youngsters to help them get over bed-wetting! I’m sure you didn’t want to know that, but it does seem to be a drug to assist your sleep, when annoying pain can make sleep a problem.

For addressing MS pain, and avoiding the “zombie effect”, it is best taken at least 12 hours before you intend to get up the next day.

As @jdd0310 mentioned, it is also an anti-depressant, although it is primarily used in pain management.

gfos1960
4 years ago

I was prescribed it after my first attack. I think the idea is to help you sleep through all the buzzy tingling shit we all get . A very small dose before bed made me sleep like a baby .

katfight
4 years ago

@hburk I’ve had it loads over the past year.. i wud say for me it took roughly a couple days to a week for me to notice a difference pain wise, mainly a horrible heavy pain in my shoulder and neck, and then all the burning / tingling.. i think it helps to sleep straight away i went from 3ish hours a night to at least 6 at first altho i felt like a zombie for hours after i woke. Once i was sleeping better the pains subsided x

hburk
4 years ago

@jdd0310 I wasn’t aware it was an anti-depressant. My PCP actually prescribed it to me a few days ago because of my pain. I can’t sleep at all and have insane migraines. He said it was to “take the edge off” whatever that meant.

@stumbler I did not know it was for bed-wetting haha I assure you, I do not have that problem

@gfos1960 I’ve been on it two days and I have been more foggy then tingly lol still tremors though!

@catfight my lesions are in my spinal cord, so I’m in pain 24/7 in the back area. I’m thinking this is why I’ve been given the meds

stumbler
4 years ago

@hburk , yes, they are used to dampen down the pain that you are feeling and they do tend to knock you out a bit. Hence, the 12 hours advice above….

katfight
4 years ago

@hburk I guess it’s just a case of trying to manage, these pills may help you. You can only try i guess and see how you feel after a few weeks. Hope they help you chick x

mrvelocity
3 years ago

It took me a bit of trial and error to work out what works for me best. It can take a couple of weeks to feel the benefits of using it. I was given it to help with lower back pain/spasms and if I miss a tablet it can have an effect within a day or so and take a couple of days again to help again so keep with it and remember to take it before bed. It takes about 2 hours for the tiredness to really show but after an hour you can start to feel sleepy. By 3 hours I feel like I’m going to pass out so I go to bed before then. As @stumbler once said, it takes 12 hours to get out of your system i.e. the zombie effect! The benefits of just 10mg is enough to stop spasms in my back when I crouch to look at something, let alone lifting anything. The other side-effects it the time it take to start going to the toilet as it effects your bladder control a bit at 10mg and 50mg you can be waiting half hour to release. Stick with it and when you miss a tablet you’ll feel the difference because the pain it releaves comes back fast. So keep on top of it and you will feel better for it but remember the 12 hours it will take to pass before you feel awake properly again.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.