Last reply 1 month ago
Alcohol and cladribine

I have been quiet on this site for a while as I had to make a decision on what DMT to take and wanted to clear my head. I have highly active RRMS and this week I started on Cladribine I have not had any side effects or adverse feelings yet at all so I’m pleased about that I’m almost week one done and on Friday am off out to a Christmas do this is the final day this week that I will be taking my tablets but wondered if I would be alright to drink a couple glasses of wine or if I should avoid alcohol until the weeks course is fully over. Does anyone know? Every time I put it in a search engine there doesn’t seem to be any info about alcohol and cladribine any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 months ago

@wendyhills , “alcohol should be kept to a minimum or avoided” is the message that I see, e.g.:-

http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/cladribine.aspx

wendyhills
3 months ago

@stumbler thank you x

hollylb10
3 months ago

I am thinking of this drug, if I am approved. But I need to do more research, especially after reading the info on that link 🙁

wendyhills
3 months ago

@hollylb10 I know what you mean. Scary stuff but if it’s been recommended to you you should really consider it I’ve stopped reading all the bad scary stuff. For me I’m highly active and my neurologist said I have a small window of opportunity so I had to make a decision took me a long time to decide. When the time is right I’m sure you will make the right decision for you in the meantime if I can help don’t hesitate to message me xx

wendyhills
3 months ago

Update. I’ve just heard back from the Adveva nurse the team who administer the cladribine

Hi Wendy,

I have read the SMPc for Mavenclad and their is no indication that you cannot drink alcohol whilst taking Mavenclad, please drink in moderation.
Enjoy your Christmas party.

Kind regards,
Claire
Claire Robertshaw, Adveva™ Nurse
adveva™ Support line

So hope this helps anyone else wanting to ask this question this Christmas

Xx

hollylb10
3 months ago

Thank you Wendy. I don’t know if I will be approved. It just appeals to me as I’m useless at taking pills and I have tried that option before. I also couldn’t inject myself and I am very stubborn as I would rather take nothing at all. So the idea of taking a course of tablets twice a year appeals more to me. I have not looked into the side effects yet.

A lot of the other drugs have side effects of pain and that is one of my worse symptoms of MS. So instantly I have rejected the idea of other 1st line treatments. Then this was mentioned in my consultation, I will be seeing my nurse next week and I will have a spread sheet of pros and cons for each drug 🤣

chezy17
3 months ago

Unless you’ve had any side affects, a couple of glasses of wine won’t hurt I wouldn’t have thought. I couldn’t drink cos it made me feel sick, doesn’t stop me now though 😊. I guess it all depends on how you feel and how you react to alcohol.

homer29
1 month ago

How are you finding this drug? Unfortunately it doesn’t work for me. I’ve had a relapse lasting six months and going strong since taking it. Previously I was on Tecfedera and I was able to live a rather normal life. Has anyone had a similar experience?

wendyhills
1 month ago

@homer29 I haven’t had an MRI yet that’s due in June so unsure how effective it has been. I haven’t had any relapses just minor sensory issues that disappeared after finishing year one. So I’m yet to find out if this has worked for me.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.