Last reply 1 year ago
Advice on recruiting a live- in carer

Hi, Im the uncle and next of kin to my 35 year old niece who has secondary progressive MS based in Fleet , Hampshire UK, and feel that we need to reach out to others who can possibly give us help or advice on live in care.

We know my niece would have a better quality of life if she wasn’t just sitting around waiting for morning or evening care to arrive, her finances only just allow for this basic, poor quality & expensive care.

This care agency offer live in careers but what they ask for 1 x carer is £700 more a month than she currently gets and if we are going to find a live in carer for her then we need to advertise independently, as this is not something we have done before we are looking for advice.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has an opinion, or experience of recruiting a live in carer independently of social services UK. My niece gets direct payments and we fought hard for her to have control of her own money, but as such we are on our own in this process.

Many thanks Uncle Grant

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

@grantsquibb , it’s good of you to join us on behalf of your niece.

There is always the inclination to just sit and allow the world to rotate around us. It can be a comfortable option, but we should be trying to use what capabilities we have. It’s very much a “use it or lose it” situation.

@reddivine , are you able to provide any advice on carers from your experiences?

tracyd
1 year ago

@grantsquibb
You might want to pop over to the MS Therapy Centre in Reading and have a chat with them. They have people who attend who are already in the situation of having carers who may be able to help you with the resources locally.
Monday to Friday is the best time to contact them when there is a full staff xxx

grantsquibb
1 year ago

@tracyd Thank you so much great advice, we are going to go there this Friday. x

tracyd
1 year ago

@grantsqibb you’re welcome you have a friend request – I’m there most Saturdays for oxygen therapy xxx

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.