Last reply 6 months ago
Adoption

Hi! I’m a single female, diagnosed with MS in 2012. I’m currently being assessed to be able to adopt, but the MS diagnosis is really getting in the way. Does anyone have any experience of becoming an adopter with MS?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
7 months ago

@helbabe2000 , have you tried calling the Adoption UK helpline :-

Monday to Thursday 10.00am – 2.30pm and Friday 10.00am – 12.30pm (excluding bank holidays)

07904 793 974 and 07539 733079
You can also email them on [email protected] ?

rachaellouise
7 months ago

@helbabe2000

I don’t but I think it’s a great thing your doing. !
I don’t see why it should get in the way .

X

coolblue
7 months ago

@helbabe2000. I’m in Australia, so I can’t really comment on the UK situation. However, I conduct assessments for prospective foster carers and health is certainly a domain we need to consider. As an assessor, I would be looking at all the evidence and asking questions of the prospective carer and their doctor such as: is the condition life limiting? If so, what are the chances that the prospective carer will live long enough, and remain healthy enough to meet the physical and emotional needs of the child until they attain early adulthood, at least? How will their illness (life-limiting or not) impact on their ability to meet the child’s needs? (e.g, Can they physically carry a small child? Is their balance affected in a way that might endanger a child? Can they drive a child to activities, or manage public transport?) How does their illness impact on other aspects of their life, such as their ability to maintain employment, or if they are unable to work, how will they maintain the financial stability to care for a child.
It’s a complex issue, and there should be no absolutes, particularly in the case of MS, where everyone’s experience is very different. I suggest seeking a very detailed letter from you doctor that addresses al your strengths and limitations, and if the limitations are serious, have some answers about how you will minimise these e.g. you have a family member available to be assessed as a respite carer is you require hospitalisation. Ideally, you might have a family member who can develop a close bond with the child while you are well, and could potentially take over if you become too unwell to continue caring.
Good luck.

littlebopeep
7 months ago

Hey, if you’re struggling for info maybe go to the epilepsy forums to get advice there… they adopt more as being pregnant w/epilepsy is harder than being pregnant w/ms – so more common

I know ms and epilepsy are different but I bet the stigma and barriers are less different….

helbabe2000
7 months ago

Thanks guys – it’s not really info I need – would just like to chat to someone who may be going through, or has gone through something similar. I know my strenghths and weaknesses and hopefully able to sell myself but would be nice to chat to someone about what they’ve been through.

grandma
6 months ago

Hi helbabe,I have made serious enquiries last year because I knew I was having the through lift installed, and thought it might be of use for disabled children. Mr council was very interested and supportive, especiallly for respite for the parents of severely disabled children ( those with their own carer) so they could have a weekend off and concentrate on the other kids in the family. There is always something even less able people can do. Good luck with your application. xX

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.