jdeeley 10/03/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Active lesions on MRI

Does anyone know how long the lesions stay active for on an MRI Scan? I’ve had a few mri’s done over the last couple of years three with gadolinium. Every scan they have found new lesions but none are active. When first diagnosed the consultant seemed surprised that there were no “active” lesions as I was having a lot of symptoms at the time. My last appointment was November and they thought I had had another relapse and was scanned in February. They have found one new lesion but not active. Do the lesions only stay active for a short time after the relapse?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

3 years ago

hi @j. For what I understood, an old lesion is definitive. Some new lesions will disappear if myelin reconstitute.

I was said 50% of lesions are asymptomatic, someone else told me 90% of lesions are asymptomatic… who’s right !?

I have feeling that MS attacks same locations in organism. So, you won’t see new lesions on MRI but symptoms get worse and the doctor doesn’t understand why you feel worse with no more lesions. I think all this depends of the definition of the images taken by MRI device (with a very precise device, you could see a lesion getting worse or even very small lesions that you don’t see with a less precise device). But all this is my own opinion.

3 years ago

@j , would this website provide an answer to your question :-

http://ms.about.com/od/multiplesclerosis101/p/ms_relapses.htm ??

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.