Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the โ€˜xโ€™.

There are no categories assigned yet.

gav
6 years ago

Acording to the MS Society, ‘A relapse is defined by “the appearance of new symptoms, or the return of old symptoms, for a period of 24 hours or more รขโ‚ฌโ€œ in the absence of a change in core body temperature or infection”.’ But what does that mean?

Basically, a relapse can effect anything that your nerves control, and how much its affected is dependent on how badly the nerve is damaged. For some it will affect their eyesight, for others it will be their touch and some will find their emotions tweaked.

As for how long, as the websight says, at least 24 hours, but normally longer, I’ve had some that have lasted a week or two, but equally, I’ve had some that lasted for a few months. Most have recoved fully, but a few have left some ‘traces’ to varying degrees, but everyone is different.

The MS Society page on relapsing remitting MS is a pretty good guide http://www.mssociety.org.uk/what-is-ms/types-of-ms/relapsing-remitting-rrms

I hope that helped you =)

gmg
6 years ago

Everyone’s symptoms are different for relapses – although there are general groupings of symptoms such as weakness, balance problems, numbness/tingling etc etc. A relapse is new symptoms or old ones which are present for more than a certain period of time (the exact time period escapes me but it’s not long – something like 24 or 48 hrs). The period of relapse varies completely from person to person. Best thing to do is have a chat with your MS nurse or have a look at one of the booklets on the MS Society website… Sorry I’m being a bit vague – it’s a bit late in the evening and fatigue is getting the better of me?!

gmg
6 years ago

Hi Gav – great minds – you must’ve posted just before me!! ๐Ÿ™‚

gav
6 years ago

high five!

smile247
6 years ago

thanx gav and GMG.

That was a great help. I got the results of my lumbar puncture yesterday and it supports the diagnosis of ms ๐Ÿ™ so, something i gotta get used to.

The thing im tryna get my head round is how do u stop putting anything that changes or goes wrong down to a relapse? will it always be a result of the ms?

thank you so much for your help, i am soo glad i found this website! ๐Ÿ™‚ x

that’s always a tricky one. i got diagnosed in march and everytime i feel tired or rundown or my leg aches etc i blame my ms!but surely that must happen to everyone without ms too

gmg
6 years ago

Yeah it’s difficult not to automatically think ‘it’s the MS’. Every time I have some kind of niggle or odd feeling, first thing my mum says ‘Is it a relapse?????’ and gets all worried! I’ve taken the attitude that if it’s something little, then I’ll ignore it and assume it’s not MS but if it gets past ignoring, then it’s worth getting it checked. Be wary of GPs just assuming it’s MS though – it’s the easiest thing to do even though it may be something else!

captainkristoff
6 years ago

I’ve had various things for varying periods. I had problems walking about 3 years ago which was how I first knew I had MS, that lasted about 2 months at its worst but has never truly gone away, I can walk absolutley fine it was just running where I struggled, saying that tho I actually ran for the first time in a few years the other week which was nice! I’ve had balance issues which lasted several weeks but have now gone, numbness and loss of control of my hands which lasted about 4 weeks and hypersensitivity in my forearms lasting about 2 weeks. All these things have now gone though and I’ve finally started treatment after various situational issues which I’m sure, had I had treatment earlier, would have meant less relapses….ah well, on the plus side it fortunately isn’t drastically affecting me, I still go to the gym several times a week, go to the pub with friends and live normally like someone without MS. Personally, I’ve found that I “just know” whether symptoms are MS related or not and a quick Google turns up info on symptoms and lots of peoples blogs who’ve had the same.
this site is also a brilliant place for information as we’re all going through the same thing but in our own specific way!

smile247
6 years ago

Thanks all.

i suppose i’ll just take each relapse as it comes.(hopefully there wont be that many).

So far 4 out of 5 of my relapses have been the same issue, with severity on differing scale.

but i love having others to share it with.

best wishes all for the new year.
x

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.