Last reply 6 years ago
MS diet

Has anyone changed their diet as a result of an MS diagnosis, and if so, in what way? I eat healthily but am wondering if it’s good to take more notice of the recommendations for big changes in what you eat. Which advice to choose?! How radical should it be before it controls you? and does it work?!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

Gav
6 years ago

I initially changed to a begetairian diet, really tried to cut down on my saturated fat intake and it did seem to have a good affect on me, since then I’ve introduced chicken back into my diet as I wanted to build up some muscle. I would definatly recommend trying to switch to a diet thats lower in saturated fat but ultimatly, its all down to whatever you feel comfortable cutting out/changing

DJDsouza
6 years ago

-Cut out red meats because of the high saturated fat content
-Eat more oily fish
-Cut all beans out of my diet, because even if they are good for your heart the more I eat the more I shake and the worse I feel. This applies to all pulses; runner beans, black beans, peas, lentils and many more. The way I worked out what it was doing was by cutting it out, and then reintroducing it in to my diet and noticing the change
-cut out all dairy products%u2026 no milk or cream
-no caffeine
Not sure about the gluten-free diet, but as my girlfriend is on that diet I may try it!
Some of my ideas may sound a bit mad, so don%u2019t take my dietary advice as gospel. Try cutting out certain foods and noting the difference!

GMG
6 years ago

The best thing to do is ask your MS Nurse to refer you to a dietician – they can give you personalised advice suited to your needs (such as other medical issues, BMI, weight, activity levels etc). The dietician I saw told me categorically that cutting out entire food groups without medical advice is risky. I’m lacto-vegetarian (due to other health issues, not my MS) so eating pulses, nuts and dairy products are extremely important (plus dairy products are a source of VitD – important for MS). Plus, they can give you advice on how to eat to maintain energy levels through the day and deal with fatigue. The Omegas are good for you so if you can’t eat oily fish, then sunflower oil (and Flora spread) is a good option. But my best advice is to go and see a dietician for advice!

DJDsouza
6 years ago

Got my advice from a Lancet medical journal based on trials that have been done already on MS. Vitamin D and calcium supplements are vitally important if you change diets. The beans one was a very strange thing to do, but has made a huge difference to the progression of my MS, so I think I may have something else wrong with me! 😉

here’s my blog post on it http://bit.ly/jRx0Ej

Bella14
6 years ago

Thanks everyone! Really helpful advice and it seems to work so I will definitely investigate further 🙂

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.