Last reply 6 years ago
Is it easier being diagnosed when you’re younger?

I’ve been having a think recently on the whole disagnosis thing after meeting some more recently diagnosed people. Do you think its easier being diagnosed when you’re younger (under 25) or older (when you’re over say, 25)?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

Lillylilly
6 years ago

It’s hard to say, as it’s a very subjective thing. Noone knows how someone diagnosed earlier or later feels.

I was diagnosed at 27 (just over a year ago). It seems to be common enough to get diagnosed in your late 20’s. Although I know of someone who got diagnosed the same month, aged 51 and she seemed to find it much harder to handle than I did. So I think it’s all about the person.

I worry a lot about my future, and what it’ll be like when/ if I have kids, so I can imagine that having kids is a HUGE factor in how you manage your diagnosis, regardless of age.

I often get a pain in my heart at the idea of someone young getting diagnosed though. My mother has a neighbour who got diagnosed at 19, and I felt so so sorry for her. I got to work full-time in a job I loved, go to college, meet my partner, etc. all before diagnosis, whereas this girl was just starting her adult life 🙁 God, I tear up now even thinking about her.

T
6 years ago

I think it’s one of those questions that none of us can ever truly answer because we already fall into one category or the other. I don’t think many of us really know how we would react to something as life-changing as an MS diagnosis until it actually happens, regardless of the age. I certainly wouldn’t have thought I’d have reacted and dealt with things the way I did (I was diagnosed at 28yrs), if someone had said that’s what was going to happen.

I do feel for LillyLilly’s mum’s neighbour though – I am so grateful that I was able to go through uni without having to deal with MS too, mainly because I’m not sure I wouldn’t have been able to do the all-nighters I pulled every now and then! 😉

Saying that, if I had been diagnosed earlier, I’m sure I probably would’ve just gotten on with it like I have done anyway. There’s always a way around things – we just have to look for them a bit harder sometimes!

Lillylilly
6 years ago

You’re so right, T.
We just got on with it after diagnosis, cos we didn’t have a choice. I’m sure most people, (who are string enough) do the same thing.
I’m sure most people do their damnest to ensure that they live their lives around the MS.

vitamin
6 years ago

I was diagnosed at 29 and was really quite annoyed that I had got this chronic incurable disease through no fault of my own! It’s not fair!
But aside from that ongoing tantrum (and it’s still there) I agree with the comments from Lillylilly and T, it could have been worse finding out I had MS before I’d gone to Uni, got some nice jobs, long standing partner etc. However, I also see the amazing stuff younger people with MS do and feel amazed and humbled. Not sure I could have done any of that. As for children, I was lucky to have an understanding partner who agreed we could still have a child. It’s not easy (being a parent never is!) but it is possible and can still be rewarding and fun.
The good thing now is that there are more drugs available and I honestly believe better drugs and therapies are on the way. x

DjBlack
6 years ago

I had a preliminary diagnosis (they suspected it from scans but needed a few more to confirm) just shy of my 22 birthday, full diagnosis 7 months after that. But in saying that at that point in time I was also just one month shy of graduating university so thank god I managed to do that before all of this set in.

Like you said T … would have had to start things a bit earlier than three days before an assignment was due because no way I’d be able to stay up hahah. Also I’m lucky I work an 8 to 5 job now because no way I could work 12 hour shifts anymore without the help of some really good drugs.

But then again, that isn’t really a big deal. I am young, there are good drugs that can help slow it down and who knows … maybe a cure in the not to distant future.

Lus
6 years ago

I was bang on 25 when diagnosed but they think ive had it since about 21-ish. I think it depends soo much on the person. If your determined enough to get through it, you will. I cried for a whole day, sulked around for a week and then went, yeah this is boring and started being me again. I had to quit my job when diagnosed so it has been easier in that aspect not having kids or a husband and stuff to worry about, just me!! I think if your determined and strong minded you will be fine regardless of age!

DjBlack
6 years ago

Very very true Lu.

Gav
6 years ago

this is all making fascinating reading, thank you all.

To throw my two peneth worth in, I was diagnosed at 23, two years after graduating from uni. I could well have been experiencing symptoms since before I started though as my friends have remarked that I always seemed to have a bit of a lollop. I just put my rubbishness at sport down to the fact I was a bit overweight. Life has been good to me since though, well mostly anyways =)

Mawson
6 years ago

Mine was a 25th birthday pressie, by then I had already done so many cool things, Pompeii,climbed Sydney harbour bridge, uni and met best bloke in world. As now in wheelchair not sure how feasible would be! However although complain about it tons, have done loads of cool stuff after too. x

eMarshallZo
6 years ago

i was diagnosed 6 months ago and am 17, and i find it easier too know now rather then know later on in life, cause i start my treatment early and makes me better earlier in life 😀 x

Cedelle
6 years ago

I cn honestly say i would rather have been diagnosed later on in life – or rsther – experience the symptoms that MS brings later on in life! I was 18 when i was diagnosed, very hard time in life to be told you have MS but then lets be honest, regardless of age… its never sn easy thing to hear!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.