Last reply 6 years ago
Art Project

I go to an art school and we were asked to a series of 5 drawings. I did mine as a commentary on MS, I am just struggling with right now whether to tell my dad who has MS what I have done and show him. I don’t want him to take it the wrong way as one of his symptoms is the focus. thoughts?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

janep
6 years ago

Hey,
Without knowing either of you it’s really difficult to know what to say here. Do you talk about MS with your dad? If so, I’d like to think that he’ll be touched that this was something you felt strongly about and might be a really nice way to continue the conversation between you about how MS has affected both your lives. However, if he is very private about his MS and you’ve never really spoken about it with him then he might find it a bit difficult. I definitely think it is worth showing him your work- his MS clearly affects your life too- it might just need a gentle approach? Good luck x ps it sounds like a great piece of work!

T
6 years ago

I agree with JaneP. I’d like to think your dad will be touched that you made it the subject of your art project but it really does depend on what the relationship is between you, him and his MS.

On a separate note, if you do end up showing it to him and depending on his reaction, it may be something that could feature on the Shift magazine – I’d definitely be interested in seeing it! I went to visit the Big Knit (the wooly MS art installation at the Blizard Institute in London) and found the whole concept of representing MS through art really interesting.

Please do let us know how it goes x

vitamin
6 years ago

I think your art project sounds a great idea. If my son ever wanted to use my MS in some art work I’d be really proud! It’s a difficult disease, but the issues it throws up about illness, vulnerability, fear and the human condition generally are accessible to everyone. MS just puts them into focus. Good luck with your project!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.