anon22 29/12/17
Last reply 6 months ago
22 and terrified

I’m a 22 year old girl and for 7 months I’ve been having odd symptoms that have never gone away. Patches of numbness, weakness in my right side, dizziness, poor balance, buzzing hands after a hot bath and other disturbing things.

I had a clear brain and c-spine MRI so was told that this was all just stress. I’m really struggling to accept that diagnosis as I’m literally getting worse by the day, I struggle to walk more than 30 mins without pain in my right leg and cramp, how can that be stress!

I’m really scared that I have PPMS 🙁 I know it’s incredibly uncommon at my age but these unrelenting symptoms have me convinced

can anyone help? feeling very alone and like my life is crumbling before it’s even begun.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
6 months ago

Hi @anon22 and welcome. I can understand why you’ve joined us.

Is it or is it not MS? Unfortunately, that’s not a question we can answer. The body is a complex bit of machinery and is capable of reacting to different situations in different ways.

Stress can be an emotion which will produce chemicals in the brain, which can target your Central Nervous System (CNS). This could be responsible for some of your symptoms. So, was there an intense stressful situation affecting you between 7 and 12 months ago, possibly emotional involving a relationship? It’s one possibility.

The other thing is that MRI scans do not always display a full picture of what’s going on.

You need to start keeping a symptom diary, where you record any weird problems that you are having. This will then enable you to compile a short, concise summary which you can produce to Doctors/Neuros.

Then, go and discuss this whole situation with your GP. Perhaps you do need something temporarily to calm you down a bit and stop worrying. But, there again, the GP might believe that a second opinion would be a better way forward.

Whatever, you will need the GP to determine a way forward.

In the meantime, you do need to calm yourself down and relax. Look after yourself, even pamper yourself, to make yourself feel better.

Do let us know how you get on……….

nutshell88
6 months ago

Hi there,
I’ve had RRMS for 15 years. couple of years ago my sister had the exact same symptoms you’re having we were all terrified that she might have MS like me and my aunt.
my sister did 2 MRI scans showed nothing. doctor told her exactly as they told you stress and over worry.
she lept having them for a while but now she’s better she still gets them every now and again but its not as bad. and im so glad that im sure now that my younger sister doesnt have it.
I hope you the same too.

Kind regards
Nutshell

laura94
6 months ago

Hi @anon22

I’m 23 and had my first symptoms when I was 22. I was diagnosed with RRMS in September last year and can understand how scared you are. I was in a fairly similar boat to you during my first relapse and didn’t get diagnosed until after my symptoms were gone. The waiting is torture, but some of the below made me feel like I was being proactive:
– I started yoga, I found that the stretching and slow movements were really helpful with the aches and cramps. Plus it was less tiring than my usual work outs so didn’t contribute so much to the fatigue. (It might not be the same for you though so do listen to your body and doctors!)
– I tried to cut out caffeine as I found it contributed to the anxiety of not knowing what was going on with my body. I would definitely recommend peppermint tea and turmeric tea has anti inflammatory properties too
– Don’t be afraid to talk about it with friends and family. When I finally spoke to my parents about it I felt as though a weight had been lifted. You shouldn’t have to go through it alone!

If your MRIs are clear that’s a really positive sign, but I think all of stumblers advice is really useful!

Best of luck with everything, I hope this is helpful x

anon22
6 months ago

Thank you everyone, I haven’t had any stressful situations that I can think of. It seems like my symptoms have just built up slowly so I’m quite worried. I had a brain MRI which was clear but now they want to do a spine MRI 🙁

cameron
6 months ago

Very many people on shift will tell you that by far the worst scenario is your ‘limboland’. It’s the time when the mind plays tricks on you, normal life is impossible and the only people (i.e. the docs) that can give you any answers seem in no hurry to do so. Before my diagnosis, the neuro told me that my symptoms (very like yours) could be one of seventeen conditions and I imagine that’s true for you too. However, if it turns out to be MS, it will be a question of managing it successfully so that it has least impact on your life. Things have moved on so fast in the last few years that there are multiple treatment options. You’ll be supported medically to get your life back as quickly as possible. One of the shift community put it so well: ‘MS is a crap hand but it’s playable’. xx

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.