Last reply 9 months ago
Xray guided LP

Hi guys , just wondering if anyone has had any sedation for an lumbar puncture ? I had a failed lumbar puncture roughly three weeks ago in which the doctor just kept trying and trying to extract the fluid , they stabbed me god knows how long and that’s obviously made me a hell of a lot more nervous and I found it pretty painful too. Any suggestions would be a big help xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

grandma
9 months ago

Hi Jade, yes I did have

stumbler
9 months ago

@jade770 , a bad experience is a bit difficult to overcome.

I had a bad experience, similar to yours last century. I had a procedure/test that preceded the introduction of MRI scanning.

When asked if I would have a Lumber Puncture some years later, I responded, “over my dead body”! However, I got persuaded to agree to it on the basis that it was just a bad experience and everything had now moved on, so I gave in.

This test was performed by someone who knew what they were doing and I was amazed at how easy it was.

So, ask about sedation upfront, just in case your GP needs to prescribe it. But, do check how experienced the person performing the test is.

grandma
9 months ago

Hi Jade, I did have a failed one but it was 25 years ago. Neorologists team tried for 2 days, he intervened and said he would show them how it was done, he failed as well, decided to do it under X-ray/scan conditions, discovered my spine was bent at base, (In all fairness he did apologise to his team!) I was told that if ever I had to have another to tell them to go on from the side. It worked years later when I had to have another, but I was black and blue for several days! But one hopes that technology has moved on. Some people sail through it so don’t get too stressed😍Jill

jade770
9 months ago

@stumblr @grandma thankyou , I did have a newly qualified doctor try to do the LP and I have disc issues and a curved spine so that probably didn’t help . I have the guided one next week so I’ll see if I can call and sort out sedation hopefully it’ll be good enough to nearly knock me out 😉 💝

stumbler
9 months ago

@jade770 , ensure that you don’t have another novice and explain why!

jade770
9 months ago

@stumblr definitely will ! Thankyou x

houdini
9 months ago

Hi. Yes I did it was hidious experience, happened twice in my life. Last one ended up going back to theatre for a spinal blood patch to repair the tear the Dr caused.
I demanded a Guided LP for my next attempt done by a consultation anaesthetist. It was completed within minutes and pain and complication free!
If I ever had to have one done again that’s the only approach I would accept.
Good luck and take care!

vixen
9 months ago

Hi there. If you are nervous, please do insist on a sedative. I had this after a few attempts and it worked a treat. Part of the issue was that I was so nervous that I wasn’t still enough which doesn’t help. Also, apparently, it is your right to declare that you would like the most senior person available to do the procedure. I posted on here once before, that when my lovely young doctor numbed me up and pottered off for 5 minutes my laugh-a-minute husband said ‘She’s probably just nipped off to finish her A’Levels!’

My best advice would be that no matter how fine you feel afrwerwards (and you will) you need to force yourself to lay flat for a few days after to prevent the post-LP headache. All the best, take a sedative tablet, you’ll be fine 🙂

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.